Gods

~~~

Trigger Warnings -  blood, a little violence

~~~ 

"I'm the villain in their fairy tale. And only because I was right. They think I'm evil, and maybe I am, but they don't understand. I'm trying to save them from themselves! They need a protector, someone to preserve the peace. I was that person, but Tommy ruined everything."

The stranger was ranting at this point, probably glad to get all of this off of his chest. Rune sat down on the side of the bed and let him talk. She was fascinated by this story that she had yet to hear.

"Of course it was Tommy! I knew from the beginning that he was trouble. All he wanted to do was cause problems. I had to stop him somehow! It was just two dumb music discs that started all of this! Just two dumb discs..."

The stranger trailed off. Rune was unsure of what to do or say so she just kept silent.

"I knew that if I had those discs, I had the power. I could keep the peace. But Tommy, that child, couldn't leave well enough alone. He practically started a war to get those discs back and I knew I had to do something drastic. So I showed him to the discs. It was going so well until a friend betrayed me."

His words were almost a whisper at this point, barely audible over the dripping fire.

"He wanted to kill me, almost did too, but I had one last card to play."

The Book of Necromancy. A voice spoke in Rune's mind, but it wasn't hers.

"The Book of Necromancy?"

She said the words out loud, perhaps out of surprise or curiosity. Whatever the reason, they shocked the stranger so much that he stood up and ran up to Rune. He grabbed her arm and tried to twist it, but Rune was stronger. With her free arm, she hit his arm, startling him so much that he let go of her. She swept her legs under him, bringing him to the floor. He was kneeling now, and Rune grabbed his hair and forced him all the way to the floor.

"Try me." Rune growled into his ear. She felt him tense up under her, as if he was expecting something to happen. She let go of him, but he stayed on the floor.

"Get up."

The stranger looked at her. His eyes, no longer piercing into her mind, were filled with fear. He got up slowly, as if he was unsure if Rune was being serious or not. It was then that Rune noticed the scars. The fresh wounds. The dried blood in his clothes.

"What.... What happened?"

He followed her gaze and understood her question.

"Quackity happened."

He spat the name as if it were a terrible disease. So much hate and anger and fear filled his voice.

"He did all this?"

The stranger nodded.

"Why?"

"He wants that book you somehow know the name of."

"Why...?

"It can bring people back to life."

He said this with such conviction and authority that Rune couldn't help but believe him.

"How do you have a book like that?"

"It was given to me in return for my loyalty. I don't think that moron even knew what he gave me."

Rune contemplated for a second the ramifications of such a book.

"What I want to know is why you know it's name."