Michael

~~~

Trigger Warnings - blood, violence, eating (realizing how much people eat in this story)

~~~

"Fine, but it better be worth it."

"Don't worry, it will be."

~~~

Rune came home from work thinking of all of the interesting possibilities. She didn't know many people in L'Manburg but she knew enough for it not to be obvious who it was. That's probably the point.

She walked into her home, saying hi to Sam when he came into view.

"Hey, you're early."

Rune was in fact, early. She usually ate dinner at a restaurant in L'Manburg, leaving only after she finished and helped clean up her meal. She was attempting to find her favorite restaurant as a whole, only moving on to a new establishment after trying at least half of the previous places' menu. Today, she tried a lettuce-wrapped chicken blt from a small sandwich shop.

"Ponk told me to leave early. He felt bad that he made me clean one of his closits."

Sam chucked at this. Rune plopped her stuff down on the floor and went into her room to change. When she came out, she was wearing sweatpants and a red hoodie. To her, the compound in which she called home was always unnecessarily cold.

"Hey Rune?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm going to a birthday party tomorrow. Do you want to be my plus one?"

"Umm, sure. Sounds fun."

"Cool."

"Hey Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"Since when do you go to birthday parties?"

"Since my best friend's kid is turning two."

~~~

Rune wasn't sure what to expect when she walked to the address Sam gave her for the party, but whatever it was, it was not a huge mansion. She was afraid it was the wrong place, but when the butler at the front door welcomed her and led her inside, she became more confident. Sam was asked to come help set up, so Rune had to arrive by herself. Fortunately, the party itself was not near as big as the mansion.

The butler led her to a large hall decorated in swathes of fake fire and gold. Wait. Rune took a closer look at the golden ornaments around the room and stopped in her tracks when she realized the gold was real. How rich are these people?

"Is something wrong, miss?"

"No, I just... No." Rune replied, unsure of what to say.

The butler looked skeptical, but continued leading her through the room. They walked up one of the curved staircases and into a smaller room on the second floor. Six or so people were in this room, including Sam.

"This is where I leave you, miss."

"Thank you."

He nods and looks at a tall figure in the room. The figure nods and the butler walks out.

"You must be Rune." The figure figures.

Rune looks to him and nods. Strangers don't typically intimidate her and she is not used to the feeling. She doesn't like it one bit. She studies the man, trying to solve him like a puzzle or a difficult equation, but nothing becomes clear. He has a harsh energy that clashes with Rune's mind, making her thoughts jumbled. But the feeling passes as quickly as it came, leaving Rune scared and disoriented.