Missing

~~~

Trigger Warnings - Wounds, Starvation

~~~

"Nice to meet you Rune."

"You too Techno."

And he disappeared into the forest. 

~~~

Two days. That's how long Rune has been missing. If only Sam hadn't been so stupid, so selfish. He knew Rune could take care of herself, but after a couple of hours, Sam knew it was time to start a manhunt. He called anyone he knew would come and get them to look for her. A city wide search later and Sam knew she was gone. Now, he sat in the prison, watching the tower where he told Rune to go if she got lost.

Anytime the prison alarms went off, Sam's heart leapt. He felt a strange, paternal feeling towards this girl, and if anyone hurt her...

The buzzer went off beside him. He quickly turned to the monitor and frowned when the figure was not a short girl. Instead it was a strange, magical being. Sam didn't move towards the door but the figure refused to leave. Sam knew the only way he could get him to go away was to tell him in person. So he stood, and began the long trek down to the prison's entrance.

~~~

Sam was tall, but the figure in front of him was taller. His half-black, half-white hair was swept across his face. Two heterochromic eyes stared down at him. He wore a white dress shirt, a red tie, and an ink black vest. The only thing even remotely suggesting his power was a sparkling crown on his head and a certain confidence in the way he stood. This was Ranboo, Prince of the End, and the love of Tubbo's life.

"Come with me." And with that, Ranboo turned and began to walk away.

"But-"

"But what? But what if she comes back? Sam, it's been days."

"Two days isn't that long."

With this, Ranboo stopped and turned to his lover's best friend.

"Sam," Ranboo started carefully, "it's been a week."

"But that's impossible..." Sam trailed off.

Sam took a shaky breath. His eyes went wide with a sudden realization.

"I gotta go, Ranboo."

"Sam!"

"I promise I'm fine. I just forgot to do something."

And with this, he ran back into the prison leaving Ranboo slightly confused and very concerned.

~~~

Rune hadn't realized just how far from L'Manburg she had gone. The last thing she could remember clearly before waking up was the alarm, but after that it was all a fog. But with the giant black tower guiding her way, it was difficult to get lost. Days had passed. She knew Sam would be losing his mind, but at this point there was no point worrying about that. She could deal with that once she got back.

All Rune could do was walk, stopping only briefly to rest when she could. She hardly slept anymore. Ever since she left the border of L'Manburg, Rune couldn't help feeling that someone was watching her. Every now and then, she saw a pair of red or yellow eyes, but never a body to go with them. Rune decided that not knowing was a good thing, but struggled to convince herself of this.

It was about three in the morning, give or take an hour or so. The night was thick with fog, and droplets of water stuck themselves to Rune's clothes and skin. She padded along on soft moss, her shoes squelching slightly. And before long, Rune found her way back home.

~~~

Sam stood just outside his prison. He had promised Ranboo he would get out of the prison at least a couple hours, but he still couldn't convince himself to leave the property entirely.

"Sam." a voice came from the silent night.

Great. Now I'm hallucinating.

He closed his eyes and leaned his head back so it was resting against the wall.

"Sam, you moron."

Wait, what?

Sam opened his eyes back up and turned to the voice. Rune stood before him with her head cocked and a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Miss me?"

Sam immediately enveloped Rune into a great hug. She winced and Sam let her go.

"Are you okay? What happened?"

"I'm okay, just a bit sore."

Sam stood back and for the first time really took in her appearance. Purple semi-circles lay just under her eyes. Her clothes were muddy and slightly torn. Small cuts peppered her arms and face.

"Rune..." Sam began before stopping himself. Questions would have to be answered later. All that mattered right now was taking care of Rune.

"Let's get you cleaned up."

Rune began walking towards the prison entrance, but Sam quickly stopped her.

"Don't you remember," Sam said with a gentle smile, "I'm taking you home."

Rune's exhausted eyes lit up and she nodded.

"Lead the way."

Her voice was shaky and Sam saw her sway before catching herself. He picked her up, not giving her the chance to argue, and she resigned herself to his help. She leaned into his chest and took a long breath.

Unlike most of L'Manburg's citizens, Sam didn't live in the main strip of houses. His home was still within the borders, but just outside the main city. The entrance to the underground compound he called home was hidden by forest and large stones, but Sam could have found it with his eyes closed. He held Rune carefully as the elevator entrance carried them down.

Sam never had visitors, when he wanted to be with friends he went over to their place. So he placed Rune on the only bed he owned, took off her shoes, and laid her down. He grabbed a damp washcloth and got the worst of the mud and blood off of her. After this, he covered her with warm blankets. She immediately snuggled up to them and sighed in comfort.

"Want me to get you some food?"

Rune nodded and Sam left the room. He came back only a couple minutes later, carrying a tray holding a peanut butter and banana sandwich and a glass of water. He walked softly into the dark room and set the tray on the small table by the bed. Sam didn't want to wake the girl but she needed to get something in her system. He gently shook her and when she opened her eyes he motioned towards the food.

She ate slowly, taking tiny, careful bites. Sam knew she had no food on her when she left the prison the first time, and by now, it had been almost a week. He realized with a jolt that she must have been through this before. Most starving people try to gobble down any food offered to them. Even if you knew how hard that was on your body, it would be hard to resist eating quickly. One would have to have experienced the harsh recovery of large post starving meals to have such control.

Sam watched the girl finish her food and slowly sip the water. When the entire glass was gone (it took almost five minutes) she laid back down on the bed. She whispered a thank you before drifting off to sleep.

Before he took the tray and left, Sam spent a minute appreciating the girl before him. She actually came back. Rune was the best thing that had happened to Sam in such a long time. Losing her so quickly would have been devastating.

He walked back to his kitchen, tossed the dishes in the sink, and got another glass of water. He placed it on the bedside table in case the girl woke up thirsty. He grabbed himself a small snack and laid down on his couch. He spent a couple of minutes letting everyone know that Rune was safe and sound before he also drifted off to sleep. 

~~~

1280 Words