Audition

I fastened my tie for a third time. For some reason I felt like I had to keep doing it. But I knew if I did it again, I'd choke myself. Maybe it was out of nervous habit.

It was defiantly out of nervous habit.

My legs shook uncontrollably. Thank god I wasn't the one driving. I would have most likely crashed the car with my stress and my trembling extremities.

Lilly concentrated on the road in front of us. Every now and them glancing over to me with worry. And everytime she did, I'd fake a smile and try my best to hault my shaky self.

I had a real bad feeling about the audition. For some reason I couldn't find it in myself to relax.

I went over the lines mentally in my head. Clearing my throat as I thought of every bad circumstance that could happen. I could forgot my lines. I could not be believable enough. I could freeze up. I could throw up. Or I could drop dead right in front of them. The last one seemed like a big possibility, with the way I felt.

Lilly pulled into the parking lot of the building. There were a few more cars than I thought. Meaning more people I had to compete with for the part. Or it meant more people to criticize my work. Either way, it gave me a pit in my stomach.

I got so distracted, staring at the cars that I neglected to notice that Lilly had shut off our car, and had been trying to get my attention for nearly thirty seconds.

"Tom!" She finally said.

"Yeah. What, sorry. I was just thinking." I finally answered her. "What did you say?"

"I asked if you were okay. You seem pale. If I didn't know you I'd think you had the same disease as me." She joked.

I sighed. "That's not funny."

"Oh come on. It was a little. And besides. I'm allowed to joke about my disease." She smiled. Which caused me to smile back. "Now, are you okay?" She asked once again.

I lifted my shoulders just to drop them again. "Yeah. No. I don't know." I began, confused as to how I was actually feeling. "I just, I always have nerves before an audition. Its normal. But this, this movie is huge. The stakes are huge. The loss, if I don't get the part, the devastation. That'll be huge. Its all so much to take in. Its scary."

Lilly sighed. Grinning sympathetically from the side of her mouth. "Come on. You're not at all excited that you have a big shot at the part?"

"I'm mostly thinking of all the ways I could not get the part. If I don't get it, I'd be devastated." I said, trying to stop my shaky legs. But they wouldn't budge.

"You don't give yourself enough credit. Tom, you've been practicing for weeks. You know this script like the back of your hand. Right down to the punctuation marks. And all you can think of is what you're bound to do wrong?" She shook her head. Seeming kind of disappointed in me. "I wish you saw what I see. Every time you read your lines, I get goosebumps. I bet they're gonna see what I see. They're gonna see you shine like you always do. And they are gonna pick you for this part. I know it. You're perfect for it."

I looked up to her. "I thought you said perfection was impossible."

She grinned. Holding her hand tightly to mine. "I guess you're an exception."

I smiled warmly at her. Remembering how I felt when I first heard her say that no body is perfect, no one will ever be. How the first thing I thought was that, she was wrong. Because to me, she was absolutely perfect. So I guess we were each others exceptions.

When the thought of the audition came over me again, I felt the pit grow bigger.

"Tom, you're shaking." Lilly said, stating the obvious as she held my hand.