Like a Souvenir

Mary didn't really answer Lilly's call. So I finally looked over to her. She stood like a statue in the doorway of the hospital. She looked just as completely astonished as Lilly did. Her eyes scanned Lilly's face, then her bed, then her monitor, and then, me. But they always landed right back on Lilly. She didn't move, nor speak, for a good thirty seconds. Until the ringing of a phone in the hallway caused her to jump out of her stance. She finally walked into the room slowly, and let the door shut behind her. Her eyes still glued to Lilly.

A smile came across her face. And without another thought, she walked up to Lilly and wrapped her arms around her daughter. Burying her face in the crook of Lilly's neck.

For a second, Lilly didn't hug back, but once she realized that her mother was actually in front of her, hugging her, she squeezed her mother like she was holding onto her for dear life. Closing her eyes to keep the tears inside, yet some did manage to escape.

Mary cried too, in the silence of the room, other than the beeps of Lilly's monitor, you could hear the sniffles.

I looked down to the ground, letting them have their moment without examining their every move.

I was honestly shocked, myself. I didn't think my words had gotten to Mary. I didn't think she would come. But i'm so glad she did. For Lilly's sake.

I mentally gave her, and myself, a pat on the back.

"I'm so sorry, my baby girl. I'm so sorry." I heard Mary say to Lilly, as they continued their, long overdue, hug.

"I'm sorry too. I love you Mom." Lilly whispered back to her.

Lilly's comment caused Mary to sit up. Her eyes looked stern into Lilly's. "No. You don't say sorry. It was my fault." She shook her head, her voice cracked and she began to cry again. "I shouldn't have been so selfish." She whispered back.

At that point, I was debating whether or not I should leave the room, or just freeze right where I was. I was so surprised that I felt as if I couldn't physically move. And to be honest, I wanted to hear their conversation.

Mary just admitted how wrong she was. Now, I don't really know the woman all that well, but judging by the situation she put us in, during these past few months, I know she is stubborn. And I know that she probably isn't the best at saying that she is wrong.

Lilly has that same trait. Now I know who she gets it from.

So, just hearing the words come from Mary's mouth, it is alleviating. It's a freaking miracle. Like when the Grinch's heart grew three sizes.

So did Mary's heart, apparently.

"Stop it. I don't care about that now. You're here now, mom. You're here. I love you." Lilly's tears released and she grasped onto her mom tighter.

Mary nodded, as if taking Lilly's forgiveness was something she mentally needed to comprehend. A part of her looked sad too. I came to the conclusion that she probably didn't fully forgive herself yet. I suddenly felt bad for calling her all of those names, last time we met. But I reminded myself, that talking to her the way I did, got her here.

"I love you too, baby girl." She smiled, brushing Lilly's hair back, studying her for a moment. "You cut you hair, you look so beautiful!" The tears in Mary's eyes didn't run, they just sort of sat there as she spoke.

Lilly smiled finally since seeing her mother. "A lot has changed in the past few months."

She grinned to her mother before looking at me. "Mom..." She held out her hand for me to hold and I graciously walked over to her and took it in mine. Mary made eye contact with me, as Lilly began to introduce me.