The Calm Before the Storm

I was right about Lilly not eating. She managed to nibble on the bread of the sandwich, and she forced down a few grapes. But she didn't have much of an appetite lately. The doctor said that it was normal to lose weight and to not have an appetite.

The food sat out on the side table and I sat at the foot of her bed still. With one arm arched over the other side of the bed, across her legs. Lilly was sitting up with the bed on incline. Something she hadn't done all day. She was actually awake. She had the container of grapes on her lap and although she didn't eat them, she still took them off the stem.

In between conversations, I'd open my mouth and she'd toss them to me so i'd have to catch them. I caught most of them. We made a joke, saying that if it were an olympic sport, we'd most definitely be gold medalists.

It felt good having her to myself again. She had been so busy running around with Bill, and talking with Jen, that I didn't get to actually sit and talk with her alone that week. Sounds pretty selfish. But that moment right now, made up for the alone time I missed. It was late in the evening so there weren't many nurses coming in or out. No doctors to damper the mood. Nothing like that. Just me and her. Talking about whatever came to mind.

"Thanks for surprising me with all this." She said as she threw another grape at me. I caught it and chewed. She laughed. "It's funny. You do all these things for me, so often, you'd think i'd be used to it. But you never cease to surprise me."

I smiled. I probably looked like a dork. I had three grapes still in my mouth and I stashed them in the sides of my cheeks so that I could say something. "You don't make it easy." I said, although I didn't know if she actually understood. It was difficult to talk while not dropping grapes from my mouth.

Thankfully she heard me. "How don't I make it easy to surprise me?" She questioned, laughing at my chipmunk cheeks.

I finally swallowed the last of the grapes. The juice quite refreshing considering the fact that the room was excruciatingly humid. I shook my head at Lilly. "Maybe because you're nosey!" I answered her.

She laughed. "I am not!"

"Are you kidding me? You're the most nosey woman I have ever met! You need to know everything. I literally had to hang up on you today because you were asking too many questions and I didn't want to spoil the surprise." I chuckled.

She crossed her arms cutely. "Yeah and I still don't forgive you for that!" She smirked. After a second of me grilling her, she caved. "Okay, i'll admit, I can be A LITTLE nosey sometimes."

"Very nosey." I grinned down to her. "But I like a challenge."

"Good." She laughed. Then threw another grape at me. This time, she threw it purposely so it wouldn't go into my mouth. It hit me square in the face.

"What was that for?" I laughed.

"That was for hanging up on me." She smiled broadly, quite content.

"Okay, I guess I deserved that." I took the grapes from her lap and stuck them on the side table beside the other food we never finished. I leaned in closer to her. My lips hovering just above hers. And I can feel each breath she takes and each beat from the pulse in her hand I'm holding. For a moment I didn't say a word. I just froze there. Studying the features of her face, and wondering how she manages to make me so crazy about her. How does she do it?

Part of the answer was on her face. Her beauty drives me mad. But the rest of the answer was buried deep inside of her. Her soul, her heart, her body movements. Everything else was a whole nother crazy.

She finally made the move and laid her lips on mine. I guess I took too long.

I didn't know if it was the humidity of the room, or her that made me feel like I was melting. It could have been both.