Use the Charm

Okay so, I've told you nearly half of the story. Some of you may have stopped listening by now. Because you think you know how it will end. But I bet you're wrong.

Anyways, for the people still interested in the story of Lilly Reynolds and I, I must warn you. The events that take place immediately after this boring speech, they start to happen really fast. Life changing things happen, in the course of only four weeks. Yes, four weeks.

My point is, just try and keep up.

As kids, we read books, or watched movies, and no matter what, they all ended the same way. Happily. The prince would get the princess. The dalmatians would be saved from an evil woman, the superheros would catch the bad guy. And no matter what, it'd end on a good note.

We carried this idea with us through life. Maybe not even knowing it. As we grew up. We began searching for our own personal superhero. Our princesses or prince charmings. We pictured our lives ending up like the end of a fairy tale. But the thing we forgot is, those were just childhood stories. Not every story has that ending.

Don't get me wrong, some people actually may get the opportunity to live their own personal fairy tales, and that's great for them. But that's not everybody.

I know what you're probably thinking. You think I am saying that my story isn't going to have a happy ending. But actually, that's not my point.

My point is, the end is how you perceive it. Some of you may hate it. Some of you may think i'm an idiot for the choices I make.

But the rest of you, may actually love this story of mine. You may smile at the last words. And those some, are the ones who understand it most. My story's ending, if even an ending at all, isn't the happily ever after ending, we saw as kids, because in my eyes, it's better than that. It's worth more than that. I hope you see that. I really do hope you all smile.

Okay. Boring speech over. I promise.

-

-

Let's fast forward one week after the doctor told Lilly about her cancer. It was a Sunday. August twenty first.

For anyone who has spent a long period of time in a hospital, you know how it is. Time seems to go by slower. The food sucks. You seem to know everyone who walks by you in the hallway.

That was our life now. And to everyone's surprise. It didn't bother me. I learned to enjoy certain foods in the hospital cafeteria. The pudding was good. Butterscotch was the best.

The people were friendly once you got to know them. The nurse secretary, Barbra was a sweetheart. Every time i'd walk by her, she would ask how Lilly was doing. And the patient across from Lilly's room. Bill. He and I hit it off pretty well that past Wednesday. He started calling me 'T-Man.' Don't ask me why. But he's a good guy. And Lilly's nurse, Jen. She was a good caretaker for Lilly. When I was downstairs, getting food or coffee, Jen would watch Lilly for me.

I hated being away from Lilly for too long. I hadn't really left the hospital much that week. Except to pick up a few things for Lilly back home. Including a few sweaters, because her room was chilly, some photos, a crossword puzzle, a few good books from my library, and her box of keychains. She specifically asked me to bring the keychains. She loved those things.

Lilly. She hated the hospital. She hated being there. I tried my best to build her happiness up. Like last Tuesday. I brought in my laptop and a few of her favorite movies. The ones I was in. She loved them. We cuddled on her little hospital bed and had a movie marathon. And she was happy again.

But that Sunday. August twenty first, she was just not having it.

I was downstairs getting a cup of coffee and some of that butterscotch pudding I told you about. The cafeteria lady began to know me very well too. But she wasn't too friendly. Like Barbra, Bill, and Jen. Or Susan for that matter. Who I still have yet to see around the place.