Surprise Me (pt.2)

For such a small shop, I managed to make a pretty substantial pile of pettals and green stems. Lilly collected my piles in an empty paint bucket we found in the back room. And we managed to clean up quick. It was the least we could do for Mrs. Patterson.

I took the bucket from Lilly's hands. It couldn't have been too heavy but I knew for a fact it wasn't exactly a pile of feathers. I set it down behind the counter as I watched Lilly sit upon the counter, swinging her legs back and fourth as they hung off the ground. "We did it." She smiled. Looking around at the spotless floor. "We're a pretty good team."

"You're just figuring that out now?" I grinned.

"No. I just thought I'd state the obvious." She answered, quick. She kissed me on the cheek before jumping down from the counter and walking to the bucket of petals. "She just throws these away?"

"Yeah. They're all wilted. They aren't exactly useful." I chuckled.

She shrugged. A playful grin came across her face. "I beg to differ." She took a hand full of petals and stems, and threw them above my head. The stems sort of plopped onto my shoulders and fell to the ground, but the petals lingered in my hair. And in between my neck and shirt collar. Kind of making me ticklish.

She laughed. "See? They made me laugh. They're pretty useful."

I bit my bottom lip. Brushing the petals from my hair with a stoke of my fingers. And a small shake to get them out of my collar. "Yeah." I smiled. Sticking my hand in the bucket. "I guess you're right!" And I threw my handfull over her head.

She laughed and hit me back with a faceful of petals. The petal fight lasted quite a while. We managed to make a mess again too. And in the midst of the fight, one of us found a spray bottle of water and we sort of had a water-petal fight. She took the last of the bucket of petals and stems and tossed them towards my body, yet missing. And they all hit the floor.

I chased her around the shop. Because she knew I would get my revenge, She knew to run. I finally got a grasp of her waist. And I pulled her into me. "I got you!" I said. And I shook out the last of the petals from my hair, over her head. And sprayed her a few times with the water I managed to get from her. "Do I win?"

Her laugh was contagious and she finally surrendered. "Okay! Okay you win! I'm sorry!" She giggled.

I loosened my grip of her and dropped the spray bottle. Both of us, breathless from running around.

When I looked around the shop, I realized we may have made a bigger mess than it was before. I laughed. "Look what you made me do! Now we have to clean again!"

She pressed her head into my chest, laughing hard. "We can clean later!"

When we caught our breath. She lifted her head from my chest. And we studied each other quietly, peacefully. There was something about the light. It wasn't dark, but the sun wasn't in the sky. The light hit her perfectly through the window of the shop. She was so beautiful. With her damp, petally hair. And those eyes that shined with colors like the inside of a kaleidoscope.

But, the feeling wasn't just physical. The look she gave me, right then, was my favorite look. The look I kept stored in my mind. I could see the love, like love was an actual thing. Like love was actual matter that a person can wear. I could see it on her face. On her skin. In her smile. And in those piercing eyes. I wondered if that love I saw was from me. If I put that there. The love in her eyes. Was that my doing? By the way she looked back at me, I knew the answer was yes.

And I kissed her lips. Hoping to add more love to that beautiful face of hers. I remember thinking In that moment, that I couldn't love her any more than I did right then. It was impossible. I was at my max limit.