14 | Memories - Second Year - The Return To Trouble

The scene shifted once more and showed Harry's new bedroom.

Harry sat on the small bed in his new room in Privet Drive flicking through the photo album Hagrid had given him. There came a shout from Uncle Vernon and Harry reluctantly stood up and made his way downstairs.

When Harry had entered the living room Vernon cleared his throat and said, "Now, as we all know, today is a very important day."

The group of onlookers watched confused, as young Harry's head snapped up at Vernon's in confusion.

"I'm lost," was all James said as he shot a quizzical look at Lily.

"Harry what day is it?" Lily asked her son softly, but she had a feeling she already knew.

"31st July."

"This could well be the day I make the biggest deal of my career."

"Oh, Harry," this came from a sorrowful Mrs Weasley.

"And you, boy?"

"I'll be in my room, making no noise and pretending I'm not there."

"When I get my hands on that ugly brute."

"Arthur!"

"We're coming when you do dad," chorused the twins, to which there were many nods of agreement, none more eager than McGonagall who looked awfully terrifying in that moment as she glared at Vernon.

Harry was now back in his room softly singing happy birthday to himself.

"Well, that looks like a fun birthday," remarked Sirius sarcastically, with a hint of poorly concealed bitterness.

"Oh, it gets better," was Harry's reply. The group weren't quite sure if he meant 'better' or 'better.' Knowing Vernon, they were inclined to the latter.

The scene shifted, to later on in the day when Dudley could be seen taunting Harry.

"I know what day it is," Dudley repeated.

"Well done," said Harry, "So you've finally learned the days of the week."

This caused a chuckle to spread through the group as they watched Harry threaten to use magic. Something which frightened the life out of Dudley. His fright only got worse when Harry began saying words like 'hocus pocus' and 'jiggery pokery,' which sent the fat boy rushing back into the house for his mummy.

This seemed to amuse the entire group, especially Luna who kept repeating what he had said amongst her laughter.

Eventually, they all stopped laughing but Luna just continued, entirely oblivious to her surroundings.

"Right," said Ron awkwardly, as Luna finally pulled herself together.

It was later on, and Harry, having finished his chores (something the audience in the pensieve had been furious at), made his way towards his bedroom. And that's when all hell broke loose as there sat on his bed was a house elf.

Now, the more aware of the audience knew exactly who this elf was and his significance in what was to come, whilst others looked entirely baffled.

"Er - hello."

"Harry Potter! So long has Dobby wanted to meet you, sir... such an honour it is."

"Looks like you've got an admirer," remarked Tonks, as they watched the scene unfold.

There was confusion from many of the onlookers as to what Dobby was doing there. They, specifically the marauders, Lily and the older Weasley's, were wondering who the house elf belonged to.