01 | The Beginning Of The End

To say the last couple of years had been eventful would be a huge understatement, something Harry Potter understands better than anyone. The last year in particular had been difficult; the only people who truly understood how difficult it had been for Harry was his best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Because of this, the trio were inseparable.

*****

Harry Potter stood on the battered and crumbling bridge of Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry gazing out at the grounds whilst his thoughts swam with loss.

Yes, it was over, but what was the cost? He thought about all the people who had died in the days fight alone never mind all those who had died leading up to it. Fred. Remus. Tonks. Sirius. His parents. Dobby. And so many more.

He stood in silence for a while but was quickly jerked back to reality by the approaching footsteps of his best two best friends. The two joined Harry and simply stood in silence; their silence spoke volumes, no words needed to be spoken for the trio to know exactly what the others were thinking.

Hermione slipped her hand into Harry's whilst her other hand was in Ron's and the trio just stood taking in both the victory and the heavy losses wondering what the future would bring.

*****

A week later in Godric's Hollow, the most miraculous thing was happening.

*****

For the first time in nearly 17 years, James Potter's eyes were open. The man had opened them to find pitch black darkness surrounding him on all sides. As he grawped around for his wand, the memories of that night came flooding back; he let out a sob when he thought about his wife and son who he'd left vulnerable to Voldemort.

The small space around him seemed to be closing in as he thought about them, he had to get out, he had to find his wife and son, he had to know if they were still alive.

Pointing his wand at the ceiling, he croaked "expulso," which immediately caused the roof above him to be blasted away. The moment the roof was gone, heavy amounts of earth began falling onto him threatening to suffocate him. His muffled yells echoed through the empty graveyard as he once again cried the spell. With one final effort, he could finally see the dark nights sky stretched out above him. Gasping for air, he heaved himself out of the ditch and began to scan his surroundings. Immediately, his eyes fell upon a grave, his grave. And what was worse, his wife's name was also marked beside him.

James Potter born 27th March 1960, died 31st October 1981

Lily Potter born 30th January 1960, died 31st October 1981

The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

At reading the words, he let out a small sob as his muddy hand flew to his mouth but before he could think properly, their came muffled screams from his wife's grave. Aiming his wand at the grave, he ejected the earth and with another flick of his wand, threw the coffin open. Holding out his hand, he pulled a young woman with beautiful red hair and dazzling green eyes from the ditch.

The woman clumsily got to her feet as James embraced her.

"Lils," James murmured to his wife as he held her close to him never wanting to let her go again.

"What happened James? Where are we?" Lily Potter asked her husband softly, "and more importantly, where's Harry?"

"I don't know Lils," he replied as he rested his chin on top of her head kissing it, "I think we died."