11 | Memories - First Year - Detention

However, their worry only resurfaced when the trio discovered Malfoy knew about moving him on that particular night.

The group watched with bated breath as Hermione and Harry left Hagrid’s hut with Norbert.

Professor McGonagall, in a tartan dressing-gown and a hair net, had Malfoy by the ear.

Sirius and James were both now smirking at their previous head of house and laughed out “yes Minnie!”

“Detention,” shouted McGonagall, “and twenty points from Slytherin! Wandering around in the middle of the night, how dare you”

“You don’t understand, professor, Harry Potter’s coming – he’s got a dragon!” cried Malfoy.

“What utter rubbish.”

“Ha,” cried James whilst present-day Malfoy proceeded to turn as red as a beetroot.

“Sorry Mr Malfoy,” said present day McGonagall to the now embarrassed boy.

“It’s fine, I’m glad now,” he replied with a small smile as the trio looked over at him with a gracious look.

“Malfoy’s got detention! I could sing!” exclaimed Hermione.

“Don’t” advised Harry.

The group were in stitches now as Hermione turned red. The pair finally made it to the top of the tower and watched Charlie’s friends take him away, sighing in relief.

Everyone seemed to have relaxed except from Lily and Remus who both exclaimed, “you forgot the cloak!” just as Filch came into view looking pleased with himself.

“Well, well, well,” he whispered, “we are in trouble.”

“Oh no,” mumbled Mrs Weasley.

“Where are you Ron?” asked Bill.

“Hospital wing, Norbert bit me,” Ron replied, Mrs Weasley turned to her son with a ‘that’s what you get look’ causing the twins to chuckle.

Things only seemed to get worse as soon enough McGonagall appeared and she was leading Neville.

“Harry!” Neville burst out, “I was trying to find you to warn you, I heard Malfoy saying he was going to catch you, he said you had a drag- “

Harry was shaking his head now for Neville to shut up, but McGonagall had seen.

“I would never have believed it of any of you”

“Hardly,” remarked Remus, causing everyone to look at him, “are you forgetting whose son he is.” They all just laughed as James grinned causing Lily to lightly slap him.

“It’s one o’clock in the morning. Explain yourselves.”

But neither of the two answered so McGonagall continued, “I think I’ve got a good idea of what’s been going on. It doesn’t take a genius to work it out. You fed Malfoy some cock-and-bull story about a dragon, trying to get him out of bed and into trouble. I’ve already caught him. I suppose you think it’s funny that Longbottom here heard the story and believed it too?”

“I’m disgusted, four students out of bed in one night! I’ve never heard of such a thing before!”

“What were we! Chopped liver?” called out Sirius as he and James held their hands over the wrong sides of their chests dramatically gasping.

“We thought our legacy meant something,” James continued, as McGonagall just shook her head in amusement.

“Other side idiots,” commented Lily as she moved James’ hand to the other side, which caused a fresh bout of laughter to spread through the group.