𝙾 𝚗 𝚎

Ellie was the Darby's next-door neighbor and Jack's best friend since the fifth grade. They were both sophomores in high school now.

Jack didn't have many school friends, and Ellie was always shy and quiet towards new people. But they had each other and that was good enough for them.

Both had after-school jobs, as well. Jack worked at Knock-out Drive-in, and Ellie at a small retail store just down the road from him. Her shift ended twenty minutes before Jack's, so she would walk over to his work after her shift ended. Sometimes she got them food or a beverage of some sort. But usually, she just hung out outside or inside if the weather was bad.

Today was a nice sunny day. For December in Jasper, Nevada, it was at least. Ellie sat outside on a bench and read a book quietly. She heard a motorcycle pull up and park in a spot by the curb next to her, paid it no mind, and kept reading.

Ellie had on her favorite outfit: an oversized red knit sweater over a white pleated skirt with leggings underneath and white booties with a small heel. She loved the colors red and white together.

Her hair was naturally curly and caramel hair that was shoulder-length. Her eyes were light brown and ignited into a deep honey color when the light touched them. Her skin was the perfect balance between being too pale and tanned.

"Hey, Ellie," she heard beside her.

She needn't look up from her book as she folded it closed.

"Hi, how was your shift?" She stood up to meet her friend. Ellie was just a few inches shorter than Jack.

"Eh, same old people, same old jerks," Jack shrugged, "Yours?"

"Not too busy," Ellie answered, "Pretty boring though."

"Yeah... oh, hold up my mom's calling me," Jack pulled out his phone from a pocket and answered the call.

"Yeah, Mom, shift just ended... Ellie and I'll be heading home soon... ok, leftovers then? Sounds good. Love you too, bye." He ended his call.

"Another long shift?" Ellie asked.

"You guessed it," Jack sighed.

"That's okay. I can always bring my dinner over to yours again. My dad's almost never home anymore and Helen would rather work double shifts than spend time with her stepdaughter," Ellie suggested, "Plus I'm literally five steps away from your house."

"Cool," Jack's gaze shifted to something off to the side, "Hey check out that bike!"

He stepped over to the motorcycle.

"Nice color," Ellie noted, "What model is this one?"

She walked over with him, pausing before the bike. Jack walked to its side and eyed it closer.

"I dunno, looks custom made," He ran a hand along the seat.

Ellie thought she saw the rearview mirror of the vehicle twitch.

"Well, it looks expensive. I wouldn't touch it too much," Ellie told him, "Whoever it belongs to will probably be back soon and- Woah! Don't go on it!"

"Relax, I'm just trying to get a feel for it. I want to get one of these one day, remember?" Jack smiled at her.

"Yeah, but- "

"Is that your bike?" Said a feminine voice from behind Ellie.

It was the head cheerleader, Sierra, and her best friend, who Ellie didn't know the name of. Sierra was Jack's crush. Ellie was somewhat friends with her.

"Oh uh er- hey Sierra," Jack waved.

"Hey, guys!" Ellie smiled at them.

"Hey, Ells!" Sierra greeted her.

"Is that yours?" Sierra asked again.

"Uh... yeah it's mine. How're things goin'?"

Ellie noticed the mirror move again.

"Things are good, how are-"

The motorcycle jerked and suddenly sped off, taking Jack with it.

Ellie was surprised, knowing very well that Jack had never touched the gas pedal. She decided to play it off.

"Excuse me," said she with a casual laugh, "I need to go hunt down my show-off best friend. See you tomorrow!"

She waved and ran off in the direction Jack and the motorcycle went.

They couldn't have gotten too far. Jasper wasn't that big, and someone like Ellie knew her way around the place rather well.

A few minutes passed and Ellie found herself in a secluded and quiet area. To her right, she heard a commotion and... fighting?

She moved closer and spotted Jack and another boy behind a concrete road barrier of sorts. She ran over to them and punched her friend's shoulder, arching his attention.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" She hissed.

Jack's eyes were wide, "get down!"

He pulled her behind the barrier. She bumped the little kid and apologized.

"What's going on?" She whispered.

Jack nudged his head to something behind the barrier. Ellie peeked over it as did the boys.

Around fifty feet away were three metal beings. Two identical ones and one smaller blue one. The blue one looked just like the motorcycle Jack had been talking about. The blue one flipped backward away from them while a fourth car sped up. The fourth was a yellow one with black racing stripes. It shifted into a robot like the blue one, but bigger. He took care of one of the identical ones while the blue one was shot by the one it fought. The opponent went to strike again.

Ellie felt something tug at her from the inside. Before she could stop herself, she raised two fingers to her lips and let out an ear-piercing whistle. Both identical robots turned, allowing for the more colorful ones to strike back.

Jack pulled her arm, "Why would you do that?!"

Ellie shrugged.

"Forget it, Let's get out of here," He pulled her and the other boy up.

Ellie looked back one last time. A big green one had joined the fight, causing the two identical ones to retreat down the road. Ellie turned away again and the three filled the scene.