vi. basilisk

"What's taking them so long?" whispered Callie, impatiently tapping her foot on the ground, craning her neck discreetly to see any signs of James and Sirius in the hallway. But that was a stupid idea as both of them were hiding beneath James' invisibility cloak. So Callie recomposed her body and stared at the wall opposite where she was leaning on.

"Do you think they're caught?" asked Peter.

"Hopefully not," Remus answered and craned his head where Callie looked at, in his hand, the Sorting Hat that James let him take care of. But again, no sign of either of the two.

Callie asked James and Sirius to grab brooms. She knew they would need it to escape. While they were at that, she, Peter, and Remus waited in front of the girls' lavatory at the second-floor bathroom. It doesn't matter if Callie wasn't hidden under the cloak. No one goes in this part of the castle anyway.

Not too long, the two finally appeared. Four brooms on both their hands as they took off the cloak around them. They gave one each to Peter and Remus.

"Brilliant!" she chimed in a whisper. Once again, she looked up to them. "Are you really sure you want to go? What we're about to do is extremely dangerous. It may result to death if Lady Luck frowned upon us." Callie had to make sure they were on board in this mission. She needed them to know the possible consequences of helping her.

"Of course," answered Sirius nonchalantly. "This will stop You-Know-Who, right?"

Callie nodded. With a final sigh, she said, "Follow me."

And so, the boys did. Peter was reluctant at first. But he's already here anyway, why back out?

"What exactly do we need in the prefect's bathroom and with these brooms?" asked James, waving the broom he was holding.

"Reopen the Chamber of Secrets, kill a snake, and then we have a weapon," Callie answered casually as Remus closed the door behind them.

"Chamber of Secrets?" Remus asked, catching up to them.

Callie hummed a yes. "A secret room built by Salazar Slytherin and where he kept a monster to purge the Hogwarts grounds from muggle-born wizards." This only left more questions unanswered and a couple of shivers.

At the circular sink, they stopped. The brunette searched around, the boys still following her.

"And how exactly are we going to do that?" asked Sirius.

"Found it." With a smile, Callie answered, "You'll see." Using her great memory of all the Harry Potter films, she reenacted Harry speaking in parseltongue the moment he tried to open the chamber.

It was a perfect reenactment. Of course, how many times had she watched the movies? Callie didn't have an idea herself.

Moments later, the sink moved. Everyone stepped back in surprise and the unaware boys raised their wands, ready to fight anyone or anything that will come out of the sink.

"Is this the part where the monster comes out?" asked James, watching one of the sinks literally sink to reveal a hole that they can't see what's in the end.

The brunette only laughed. "Relax," she said. "We are going to jump in, all right? Then, we kill the monster and we have a weapon."

"Sounds easy but doesn't seem like it is," Remus commented, looking down at the seemingly endless pit.

"Indeed." Callie walked forward the hole. It's not too wide but it's dark and she had no idea how deep the fall would be. The girl swallows and breathed out before turning her head to the boys. "Let's go?" Then she jumped.