xiii. letters

Callie woke up a little later than usual the next day because of her late-night talk with Regulus and not easily sleeping after the last letter she sent him.

The only reason she woke up was because of the noise Sirius made whilst entering her room. He was singing a muggle song she didn't know the title. She panicked, feeling the letter Regulus gave her in her hand on top of her chest. She didn't know what would their reaction be hence why she hid the letter under her bed.

"Good morning!" Sirius enthusiastically greeted her as he enter, the tray of food in his hands.

"Hey!" Callie greeted, unusually too enthusiastic, especially since she just woke up.

Sirius immediately knew something was up. He narrowed his eyes at her with a playful smile. "Something you're hiding?"

"Uh, none?" Callie tried to be as unsuspicious as she could. And fantastically failed.

"Yeah? What's that under your pillow?"

"Nothing's under my pillow!" she replied way too quickly which made Sirius chuckle.

"Lying doesn't suit you, you know?"

"I'm not- I'm not lying!"

"Have your breakfast and try to convince me after."

Callie huffed and took the tray from him and started stuffing her breakfast in her mouth. She would have brushed her teeth first with a toothbrush the boys bought for her. But she knew, Sirius would go through her bed to find that thing she was hiding. And if he found out that Regulus had sent her a letter, she would freak out.

But all her hiding became useless soon when an owl entered her room as Sirius was sitting in front of her, it stayed flapping its wings in between them, a white envelop on its beak. Sirius took the letter from the owl and it flew towards the piano, landing there.

With wide eyes, she looked at Sirius who stared at the letter, speechless. His eyes then gazed at her before to the owl, confused.

"You have a letter?" he asked, about to turn the envelope around and see the stamp behind.

Callie panicked and immediately snatched the letter from him and did not answer the question. Instead, she hid it under her pillow where Regulus' previous letter was and continued her meal, acting innocent even if she was already caught.

"From whom?" asked Sirius. It can't be any of the Marauders. Why would they send her a letter? It can't be Dumbledore either, he hadn't returned from the Ministry so he wouldn't know of her appearance. It couldn't be anyone in the castle too. None of them, not Lily, not McGonnagal knew about her. It was only them and...

"Regulus?!"

It could only be him! Who else could it be?!

"What?" Callie, flustered, acted innocent.

"You're good at planning but not at hiding," he said, a brow and cheeks raised, a teasing look he couldn't help but show. His brother gave a letter to a girl! And this girl was too shy to admit it!

Sheepishly with rosy cheeks, Callie defended, "He was just checking up on my ankle."

"Really?"

"Yes!"

"I've been injured a lot of times but he had never sent me one letter to check up on my injuries." Sirius looked up, reminiscing the troubles he got into a few years ago with the Marauders. Those times he was in the hospital wing for days because of some broken bones. Those times he hoped his brother would sit next to him and tell him how idiotic he was for injuring himself that bad. Just like those times when they were young. He sighed discreetly.