xxi. hospital wing

Every step Callie took towards the hospital wing was an attempt to get Regulus off her head. And all those attempts massively failed like how someone with zero talent in volleyball tried to strike the ball.

That was until she arrived by the hospital wing's massive twin doors. Every thought of the young Black disappeared as she tried to listen to if Madam Pomfrey was inside. The old woman was still void of any idea about her existence. In fact, the whole of Hogwarts was; with exception of the Marauders and Regulus. Dumbledore still hadn't come back from the Ministry.

Hearing nothing from the other side, Callie held a knob with one hand. Keeping herself as silent as humanly possible, she pushed the door lightly, opening it a little; its weight making her grunt. Then she swiftly pushed herself on the other door to hide in the shadows.

Her chest kept rising and falling yet she couldn't afford to make a sound. Her eyes looked to her left to hear if there were any movements. There was none for a full minute.

With that as an assurance that it was safe, Callie faced the door again. She stuck out her forefinger and used that to push the door a little further just so she would fit. And then the gap between the two doors was wide enough; Callie swiftly entered.

She dived into a bed half covered by a curtain. No one pointed it out. No one noticed her.

But Madam Pomfrey might still be inside. Callie thought of an act.

Clearing her throat, she pushes herself further back to the bed behind the shadows. She breathed out, making sure her voice wouldn't waver or flinch or anything.

Using Hermione's voice imitation that she mastered a year ago, Callie called, "Madam Pomfrey? Madam Pomfrey are you there?"

There was no response.

"Madam Pomf-"

"She's in bed!" Callie heard Peter shout in a tired tone. It was as though he had just woken up.

Taking that as an assurance, she went out of hiding and silently glided towards where she heard Peter's voice. She was careful not to make any disturbance and even more so if there was anyone other than the Marauders inside the hospital wing.

One Hufflepuff was sleeping a few beds away across from where she heard the boys.

Callie took a small part of the curtain surrounding a bed using her fingers like pincers. She gently lifted it a little to see inside and found Peter shuffling on his bed.

"Hey," she called.

Peter, at the sound of her voice, jumped back to see her. His eyes bulged out and his lips parted that he almost screamed. But Callie put a finger on her lips immediately making him staple his together.

"What are you doing?" he hissed and sat up as she entered as quiet as she had been.

"I came to visit." Callie sat on the corner of his bed.

"At night?!"

"Of course, I couldn't barge in here in broad daylight."

Peter looked away, thinking through her words but understanding them shortly. Meanwhile, Callie looked at the right bed next to his. It was covered with a curtain so she couldn't see who was there but Callie was sure it was one of the Marauders.

"Who's in there?" she asked, pointing to her left.

"Sirius," he muttered, laying down and pulling his blanket up.

She smiled at his innocent tone. Callie hoped it wouldn't change. That he would stay as he was right then. The thought of Peter betraying them had crossed paths in her mind dozens of times. And yet she couldn't bare to suspect him the longer they spend time together. Until she gave up and trusted him. Callie believed he deserved a chance to prove himself again. And she gave that chance to him.