vii. like son, like father

Screams filled the chamber and they echoed around. Splashes of water on their feet and blasts added to their shouts of spells.

The moment Callie ran, the basilisk moved swiftly so the five had to separate from each other or else it's death for them. Being the first one to move, Callie was the one chased by the monster. She ran fast and attacked the basilisk with a spell she learned even if she knew it won't do anything to scratch its skin. She just hoped it'll distract the monster for a while for her to have the advantage to hide.

But Remus attacked it with a spell, catching its attention. It didn't take a minute for the basilisk to change direction. It was then aiming for Remus. He ran and ran and ran. It almost bit him but thankfully he shielded himself with one of the gigantic snake statues before attacking it on the eyes. Of course, he kept in mind not to look at it directly on its eyes and so as the others.

"Bombarda Maxima!" he yelled causing a loud explosion that made everyone duck.

To Remus' surprise, there was not a single scratch on the basilisk. It stood tall and angrier. He did not think twice about running away; in doing so, the Sorting Hat fell off his hand.

But it was fast. The gigantic snake was catching up on Remus that it could almost bite his head off. But it halted when another loud explosion erupted and a few rocks fell on it.

It was Sirius' fault who cast the same spell, this time instead of onto the basilisk, he hit the rocks above it giving Remus time to run away from the monster. Unfortunately, he just caught its attention.

Sirius entered the tunnel and run in directions he could not remember. What was in his mind was to make the snake dizzy in hopes that would give them a little advantage.

"Duro!" he cast, trying to turn the monster into a stone, tripping him in the process. But to his surprise, it did not become a stone. Instead, it screeched as it approached him. Sirius could only curse under his breath.

A few more turns until he met the dead end, earning another curse, this time louder.

The basilisk slowed down, seeing that his target has nowhere else to run. Sirius didn't know if it can smile but if it could, he was sure as heck it was grinning mischievously at him. It towered over Sirius, readying itself to kill the untamed Gryffindor.

However behind that determined, strong look, Sirius wore on his face, deep within him, he's scared of this monster. His heart kept beating fast and loud that any moment it would burst out and fly away.

The basilisk was ready to attack and Sirius was ready to face death. But the monster screeched loud and backed down, facing its tail. There was Peter, standing before its end, his wand embedded deep on its skin. He had a horrified look on his face when he felt it look at him. He froze on where he was standing, wide eyes staring at its slightly bleeding skin. He could feel his heart racing and drumming but he couldn't move his feet. He just stood there.

But before the basilisk could move any further, a female's voice erupted, "Bombarda!" Callie then had the monster's attention. She swallowed the lump in her throat and ran to go outside the tunnel. She kept muttering curses and prayers, hoping to still come home in one piece.

As she and the monster exited, another voice yelled, "Conjunctivitis!" It was Remus. But again, just like before, the spell didn't affect the monster.