xx. goodbye

Callie fell asleep right away that night. After she calmed in Regulus' arms, he guided her inside and onto her soft cushion. He laid her down as a few tear drops fled from her eyes. He pulled up her blanket up to her shoulder.

Regulus had the urge to kiss her temple or her head as if that'd ease the pain. But he stopped himself. He had no reason to kiss her. Instead, he brushed her hair as he sat down on the floor in front of her. He hummed and lulled her to sleep.

His voice was of an angel. Yet Callie had no time to be flustered nor to celebrate. Pain and grief were preoccupied sticking on her like a slug.

And with his angelic voice, her eyes shut close and she heaved her heaviest breath yet out of her system.

At that moment, Regulus knew she was asleep. He didn't leave yet. He didn't move a muscle. He continued brushing her hair and humming, watching her breathe. Just then, he noticed how long her lashes were. They weren't as long as his; his was longer. And yet they didn't make her less beautiful.

Wait...

Did he just think she was beautiful? Well, she was beautiful. Inside and out she was. Sure, she wasn't as beautiful as the ladies he met. Their beauties were preserved and kept, thanks to their family lineage. But her much simpler look made her beautiful enough. Her heart of gold made her stand out more than anyone.

A tear suddenly escapes her closed eyelids and fell to her cheeks. Regulus traced the side of her face with the back of his fingers and eventually wiped away the tear. Even when she was asleep, she was still in pain. The thought saddened him.

If only he could make her griefs go away he would have done that already. Yet he didn't have a spell nor any potion to do so.

But that wouldn't stop him from helping Callie. She had gone to great lengths to help them, him. Therefore, he'd do the same. For a friend. For Callie.

Regulus felt his eyelids getting heavier. With one final caress on her jawline, he took back his hand and grunted, standing up. He made sure he wouldn't make loud noises not to disturb the sleeping girl. He remembered the picture of the room so that when he returned, he'd be able to enter that room himself.

He reached for the doorknob and opened the door as silently as he could. Before completely exiting, he turned his head to her. With one last look for the night, he whispered, "Good night, Callie," before closing the door behind him.

°°°

The next day, Callie woke up feeling her eyes bulge. She couldn't open them yet making her groan in annoyance. Her body sunk more in the bed as she moved around. She didn't want to get up yet. The familiar cinnamon scent of her room entered her nose making a small smile crawl up on her face.

Home.

"Are you awake yet?"

Every thought of home shattered like glass the very moment Callie heard Regulus' voice. Her eyes fluttered open as if she forgot that they were swollen. Her gaze met his who had his head tilted just so he could see her face better. Pure curiosity danced on his face.

She yelped and sat on her bed. Callie hurried to get her blanket and wrap them around her body, inching away from the surprised Regulus.

"How did you get here?! When did you get here?! Why are you here?!"

"Calm down, Callie! It's me." Regulus had his hands raised as though he was saying he didn't mean her harm in one form or another.