xxxv. callie

She never knew it would happen. She never put into account it would happen. She thought she had put away Peter's betrayal, that after her promise to them, to him, he wouldn't think of stabbing them in the back.

No. No, no, no, no. It wasn't possible. Peter couldn't- Peter couldn't possibly betray them. He was their friend! He was their companion! He-

Callie couldn't wrap her head around it. Because she thought, after everything they've gone through, Peter wouldn't do that.

"You traitor!" Sirius was the first to react. He would have launched himself at Peter if not for a Death Eater pointing her wand right at his throat and his tired body from the Drink of Despair.

"You won't get away with this." Unlike Sirius bursting out, Remus was more calm but anger was simmering in his head. And Peter always feared that kind of anger.

"Mate, you're our friend—"

"Silence!" James was cut off by Voldemort's shout which made Callie flinch.

Regulus held her hand tighter. Nothing else mattered right then, just Callie and her safety. Those two things were marked in his head.

And for Callie, it would be the other way around. The safety of her friends over hers. But right then she couldn't think of anything. Her mind was void of thoughts. Neither could she make one nor could she pull up anything from her past thoughts. It was occupied with Peter and the word betray.

She knew she should plan their next move. But again, nothing surfaced in her mind.

"You have stood your ground." Voldemort looked at the locket Regulus had in his hand. "Is that where you were?" He pertained to the locket and the cave it was in. "The reason you didn't see me at sunrise?"

Regulus tightened his hold of the locket. He knew the Dark Lord would go after it as the remaining Horcrux there was. His last remaining lifeline.

"There is no need for that. That locket is nothing but a mere replication of the real one." He pointed at the locket around his neck.

And if their stomachs could go further down, they already did.

"Wormtail told me your plans. So I took my locket before you could."

So... that would mean, the one that they have, the one that Sirius underwent torture for, that traumatic experience in the cave... it was all for nothing? The locket was fake. And Peter didn't tell them.

"And you chose not to surrender until now."

Callie's world crumbled into a myriad of bits.

Everything was planned out in her head. She thought the threat of Peter's betrayal was eradicated. She thought she made sure of that. She thought everything was in her control. But she was wrong. Callie was beyond wrong.

"Take them."

Death Eaters reached for their hands. Sirius and James tried to fight back but they were weaker than usual. They couldn't fight back. And they were outnumbered again just like last time.

Callie and Remus didn't fight back. Her heart was too shattered to let her mind process a defence. And Remus knew better that nothing good would come out of it.

Regulus tried to break free when she cried out over the rope used to tie her tightened. "Don't touch her!" he said through gritted teeth. But not one of them chose to listen.

One by one the Death Eaters began disappearing or apparating. The five were given their own Death Eaters to bring them somewhere they have no idea.

Callie looked at her friends. They were still trying to break free. The scene broke her heart. It was the very thing she thought she wouldn't let happen. But it did still.