xxxviii. call

"I really wish I could tour you around," said Callie when they stepped out of their porch. Bria finally let her go. "But we'll do that once Voldy's out of the way." Again, another unsure statement from her.

"A tour in your home sounds nice," said Regulus, holding her hand as they walk by the sidewalk, looking for a bus.

Home. This was her home. This was where Callie would stay despite her relationship with Regulus. That was decided even before their relationship began. But if they found a way to go back and forth, of course, there would be no hesitation, Callie would also go back and forth to their and from her world.

And for her to do that, she had to make contact. Callie dialled a number she had memorised for years. The person on the other line picked the call up.

"Yes, Bria? Anything you need?"

Callie couldn't muster the voice in her throat. Her eyes watered hearing her best friend's voice after more than a month.

"Bria? Something wrong, love?"

Callie shook her head. "H-Hey." God, why did she sound so awkward? That was her best friend! "Hey, Sam."

"Oh my, lord." Samanta gasped on the other line. "Callie? Callie, is that really you?"

"Yes, it's me."

"Callie! Good lord! Where have you been?! Everyone was worried sick about you! Are you home? Are you safe? I'm coming there."

"No. No, Sam, you don't have to. Look, I've got no time to explain. I need to know where you brought that Marauders' map you gave to me."

"No time to explain? Caledonia, I don't need to remind you that you were gone for more than a month. And that's what you're giving me?"

"I know this is unfair. Even for Bria. But I really can't explain right now. I will when everything's over, I promise."

"Everything's over? Callie, what are you talking about?"

"It's complicated. I have no time to spare. So please, where did you get the map?"

She heard Sam sigh on the other end of the call. "I've already told you to a shady old man, didn't I?"

"I know. But I need to know exactly where he is."

"I think he lives a few blocks away from home. Why are you asking?"

"I need another like that."

"Another map?"

"Er... sort of."

"Sort of?"

"Sam, look, why don't you meet us so you'll understand," Callie hesitated, "somehow, what's happening?"

"'Us'? Callie, who are you with?"

"If I answer you, you'll ask me more questions."

"Okay. I won't. Just answer that question."

"I'm with the Marauders, all right? And Regulus." She looked at them as she said that.

"Lesson learned: I shouldn't have asked you that."

"Yup. We'll meet you at your place?"

"Sure. I'll wait for you outside."

"We're on our way. Do you mind me borrowing your wand?"