xxxiv. the locket

Callie and Regulus swayed there in silence for a few more minutes. Drinking each other's presence as though it might be their last. Because they both had no idea, maybe it was. They couldn't risk any second.

Speaking of risking any second, Regulus broke the silence with a question.

"What did Bubbles tell you you should do?"

Callie was back leaning on his chest. "That I should follow my heart. And let my brain guide me on my way."

She felt Regulus nod. "Which path does your heart want to take?"

"My heart wants to go to that cave. And take that locket. And destroy it. Then fight Voldy. Because, Reg, if we surrender to him, I can't ensure you'll be safe. And I want to make sure you're safe. All of you. I don't care what happens to me, I just need you safe."

"I understand. And I need the same; you, safe. And even if the Dark Lord can ensure that I won't let you go there. I know him well enough to know he won't waste a chance of erasing a hindrance. That hindrance being you."

"I know you'd say that. I also know the Marauders will say that. We can fight against him, you know?"

"I do. And that's what we'll do." Regulus finally broke the hug and stopped their sway. He held both her arms and they stared at each other's eyes. "If you won't see him at sunrise, he'll search for you. He'll search everywhere for you. And he won't like it that you chose to disobey him."

"Then? What should we do?"

"We have to leave now. I don't know what time is it but we still have some time before sunrise. If we get out of here, retrieve the locket, and destroy it, he'll be weak enough to be defeated. And you know exactly how to defeat him, right?"

Callie nodded. "Yes."

"I'd love to hug you longer but we should go now."

She chuckled and they left, hand in hand.

They found their way back, the Marauders were still how they left them, asleep and snoring. But sleep had to wait until the war was over.

Regulus woke up Remus and Sirius whilst Callie took on James and Peter.

She shook them too hard that they had no other option but to groan and open their eyes. James even turned back.

"Wake up, we have to go," she hissed at them.

"Go where?" Peter asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Slytherin's locket. We should get it now."

James tilted his head to her. "You're not going to You-Know-Who?"

"Why would Callie go to him?" Remus asked, sitting up.

"He said she should or else he'd hurt us," Regulus answered.

"But he can't hurt any of you if too he's weak to do so. We have to destroy the locket before he can get us," said Callie. "I'm really sorry, Remus, I can't give you the rest you deserve but if we stop now, they'll catch up to us and we're good as dead."

"No, no, I understand it."

She nodded in understanding. "You all should prepare. We have to leave as soon as we can."

The boys groaned as they get up. They took Callie's things and collected them in one place. Meanwhile, Callie searched for a bottle she put in her bag before and her wand.

She took them out and she filled the bottle with water with a spell. "Aguamenti." Callie made sure the bottle was full.

Her heart began to drum knowing what one of them would go through. Her hand began shaking and Regulus noticed it.