chapt 10 • When He's Ready

Since I was young, I was taught to have perfect manners

Since I was young, I was taught to have perfect manners. "Yes sirs" and "Yes ma'am's".

Taken to father's business parties and being surrounded by church girls and women who judged me because of my mother.

Mother was beautiful, stunning. That was something no one could deny. I still wonder what made her marry someone like my father. And if she ever regretted it.

I received a letter from Grandma, telling me she was ready to rid any demons that may find their way into my room while I was away. As well as verses she tells me to repeat at night, in order to find my way closer to God and that if she found out I was skipping out on prayer lectures, she would come and visit.

I haven't missed a single one since I received the letter.

I tossed the letter in the trash, not writing back to her or even acknowledging the box of ugly dresses and skirts she sent to me. Which hid in the far back of my closet still.

Since I was an only child, I was the only person to receive the torture of having Dahlia Rose as a grandmother. Though I wouldn't wish her on anyone else. In her own way, Grandma was the devil herself.

I was walking through the lecture hall with Charolette beside me. Her books are close to her chest as she explained how excited she was about the sleepover she invited me to with her and Quinn.

As she was taking Carter entered through the two large wooden doors. A woman with blonde hair pinned like George Washington wearing an ankle-length dress which reminded me of the ones Grandma would wear to church.

"Who are they?" Charolette looked from her books to the three adults who had just come in.

"They're a part of Hartford's council. He's the senior pastor and she's a part of the elder's" she quietly said, we stood by a wall watching Carter walk them around.

"And what are they doing here?" They both had wrinkles and seemed to intimidate Carter.

"They come to make sure we're getting the right amount of guidance and being taught correct religious education" she elaborates.

I soon make eye contact with the woman, her eyes squint for a second.

She whispers something to the man next to her and all of a sudden all of their attention was on me.

From here I could feel her burn her eyes as she inspected my attire, judging the shortness of my skirt.

She tapped a pen on Carter's shoulder and directed his attention, all of them not even acknowledging that Charolette is next to me.

I begged in my head for them not to approach us but of course, the sounds of their shoes tapping on the floor only came towards our direction.

Luckily I was wearing my cross necklace today, that was the first thing Carter looked at. The woman was focused on my eyes as if she was connecting dots in her head.