Chapter 1- Where My Life Is Ruined

A mirror. And within it, a boy. Lightning filled the air, lashing the sky with whips of fire, lacing the air with tension. Thunder exploded into being, drowning out the sound of the racing wind. The boy stood in the midst of it all, his feet planted firmly on the ground. His hands were shaking, his legs were trembling. His head was down, his eyes were closed. Blood dripped down his face.

Then he raised his shaking head.

His eyes burned with ferocity, as if he could stare down the world itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moving sucks. I'm telling you right now, it's terrible. I've had more than my fair share of it, too.

The first time I moved, I was too young to get it. I was 2 years old, and I was moving from India to the U.S. A. Yes, I was born in India. But I grew up in Oregon. Then, when I was 7, we moved to Michigan.

Now, I'm 13, and we just moved to North Carolina.

Biggest shock? People here don't have southern accents (in the cities at least). I know, right? Never saw it coming. My mom told me southerners were like, normal people, but I didn't really believe her.

But that's not really important. I only spent about a week there. And that was mostly during spring break.

My last day in North Carolina was also my first day at my new school.

Worst. First. Day. Ever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It all started with the front office. My mom had to take my little sister Aasha to school, so I was on my own. I walked up to the front desk of Fisher Middle School where a blonde woman was typing half heartedly. I guess first day back from break gets to everyone.

I cleared my throat. "Um, hey, I'm a new student."

She looked up. "Name?"

I shifted my weight. "Ravi Jindal."

She wrote my name down on a piece of paper, spelling it wrong, naturally. "Alright, Ravi, you can sit over there until a counselor comes to work out your schedule."

"Ok," I said walking over to the chair.

I tried to relax, but I couldn't. The room was such an uncomfortable space. Every corner was sharp, all the seat cushions decrepit and stiff. I just wanted the counselor to come get me.

Finally--FINALLY--a slightly overweight woman walked into the room. "Ravi Jindal?" she called. I started to stand up, picking up my backpack.

Then some girl walked in. She smiled. "Hey Mrs. Rayford."

Mrs. Rayford looked up and shrieked. "Sierra! Oh my goodness!"

I sat back down, running my hand through my hair in frustration. I knew from having two sisters and a mom for experience: this was gonna take a while.

Mrs. Rayford crushed the Sierra girl in a hug. Sierra laughed. "It's good to see you too."

"I haven't seen you in forever!" Mrs. Rayford gushed. I rolled my eyes. Girls. This might take longer than I thought. They began to chat about random stuff. I resisted the urge to get out my phone and text my old friend, Daniel.

"How's the new...school?" Suddenly Mrs. Rayford looked a bit uncomfortable.

But Sierra laughed. "It's wonderful," she assured. "The treatment is amazing."

I frowned. Treatment? Suddenly I felt awkward, like this wasn't a conversation I wasn't really meant to hear.

"Well I'm glad to hear it," Mrs. Rayford said with a relieved smile.