Chapter 8-Where My Life Takes a Drastic Turn

I gasped. What. The. Heck.

I looked down. I was wearing armor. Me, Ravi Jindal, the scrawny nerd, the awkward idiot, wearing armor. I was muscular for crying out loud! It felt wrong. So wrong.

But yet...at the same time...it felt incredibly, breathtakingly, right.

I suddenly realized what I was thinking and felt a pang of annoyance at myself. I sounded like a stupid Taylor Swift song.

"Hey!" I turned and saw Isaac, also ironclad, running towards me with absolute joy on his face. "Isn't this incredible?"

"Yeah..." I said, still not believing it. Isaac's grin widened. "The world feels...smaller almost. You know?" I nodded. "Not necessarily the world is smaller...I'm bigger."

"But yet, smaller," he marveled.

"Realized how small we really are." We grinned at each other. I've never had a conversation with someone like that before. Ever.

"Hey guys!" We turned. It was Deynan, who (unfortunately) actually looked good in his armor.

"What do you want?" I asked. Oh, wow. That sounded kind of hostile. I shrugged it off.

"Well, I wanna hang out with the cool kids, and in case you haven't noticed, no one else has managed to transform."

I looked around. It was true. Everyone else was still struggling. Harrison looked like he was having a seancè.

"So Deynan," Isaac said, "how does it feel? Believing in magic?"

He laughed. "Feels great, man. Weird. But great."

I stared. "You're not fazed...at all?"

He shrugged. "Well, once I accepted it, I turned into an awesome muscular dude, so seems like a pretty good trade off to me."

I shook my head in awe.

"Yup, well done boys, very well done!" Mr. Zonders said, walking over towards us. Deynan gave him a peace out sign. Mr. Zonders returned the gesture. "Dr. Smith will be here in a few minutes, he wants to talk to the first three that transformed. Oh looky, another one!" Noah had managed it, delight lighting up his face.

"Aha, Leroy, are these our three special ones?" Dr. Smith said, strolling out into the courtyard.

"Yes indeedy they are, sir," Mr. Zonders said, snapping a salute. I was somewhat nervous, somewhat amused by his weirdness.

Dr. Smith smiled warmly at us. "I am not surprised. I could sense there was something special inside of you." I fought the urge to roll my eyes. What a bunch of crap.

Dr. Smith clapped his hands together. "Well boys, I know this is rather sudden but remember that girl's school I mentioned? They're sending out a team to go check on a disturbance, and their headmistress suggested I pick a few of my most promising new ones and have them accompany the team. A field trip of sorts. So I said to myself, the first three newbies that transform will be the ones! And that's you!"

I began to feel sick as the full realization of what he was saying hit me: I was going to have to spend extra time with (shudder) Deynan.

At least I had Isaac to keep me sane.

"That sounds amazing, sir!" Isaac said warmly. "Thank you, sir."

"Ah, don't 'sir' me, my dear Isaac, I'm no knight," he said laughing. "Oh, and Mr. Marquez and I will accompany you on the way over there."

Oh yeah. Boats and all that. Suddenly this whole field trip prospect seemed a lot more real.

"Where is the school anyways?" Deynan asked.