Principal

A little later that day, I found myself waiting in the hallway. I still had his camera. It had gone fifteen minutes since my class finished, but I still waited by my locker. "They're not gonna make us pay for the backboard, you know that," I heard someone say. I looked up and saw Peter and a man, probably his dad, walking down the hall. 

"I don't care about the backboard! Was that true?" the man asked and they stopped walking. Peter hadn't seen me standing in the other end of the hall. I could hear everything they said. "What?" Peter asked. 

"What I heard in there just now. Did you humiliate that boy?"

Peter gestured upset with his hands. "Yeah, I did. But, but this guy deserved it."

"Did he?" the man asked. In my opinion, Flash did deserve it. "Yeah," Peter answered. 

"Is he the kid that hit you?" the man asked, and Peter went quiet. I could see that he looked away for a few seconds, before nodding. "Is he?" the man asked again.

"Yeah, yeah, but it's not about that, it's-."

"So all this is about getting even," the man said. He looked upset. Peter shook his head. "If so you must feel pretty good about yourself right now. Am I right or wrong?" Peter shook his head bitterly. "Yeah, I thought so," the man sighed. 

"He knocked her paint can over," Peter whispered. There were nearly nobody else in the hall, so I could still hear them. "Who's can?" the man asked. "That girl over there," he said and tried to be quiet, but failed as I could hear him. He was talking about me, and my heart started racing again. Even though it wasn't anything huge, it was still enough.

"She looks familiar," I heard the man say. Peter turned, and I looked away to not make eye-contact. "That's the girl on your computer," the man said and let out a soft laugh. I saw Peter trying to shake his head no, like he wanted the man to stop talking. 

"He's got you on his computer!" he shouted across the hall, and I smiled awkwardly. "I'm his probation officer," the man joked. He patted Peter on the shoulder, before turning and walking away. 

Peter laughed and turned to me and let out a laugh. "He's a... character," he said and pointed to the man with his thumb. "He's my uncle." I walked closer to him. "He's a pathological liar, he thought you were someone else."

"Damn. You don't have me on your computer?" I joked, and he laughed. 

"I mean... well... I took a photo of your class last year and so I have it on my computer."

"Right, so you do have me on your computer," I said. "Sounds like the pathological liar thing runs in the family."

"I meant that it wasn't just a photo of you, it was like a photo of your class and I was probably touching up some stuff and-" Peter tried, and I couldn't help but laugh. 

"Touching up some stuff?" I laughed. 

"Oh my god, I'm not gonna answer that, you know what I meant," Peter said, and none of us said anything for a couple of seconds. 

"Did you get expelled?" I asked to break the awkward silence. He shook his head no. "No I didn't, got community service though."

"Well, that's good." I smiled and turned to look somewhere else. We were both very awkward and nervous, anyone could tell by just looking at us.

"So... would you want to... you know like..."

"To what?" I asked, but I knew what he was going to ask. 

"You know... do something some time, or you know... do something else," he scratched his neck and looked at the floor.

"Yeah yeah, either one," I said, and we both laughed softly. There was that awkward silence again. "I can't right now thought, I have work and you know..." I said after a while.

"Yeah me neither, I'm like super busy with homework and stuff," Peter said. 

"Another time?" I asked. He nodded, and I turned. I was going to be late for work.