The Second Funeral

I couldn't see them, only hear the shots fired and screams of the people around us. But I could do nothing but sit and wait. Then finally, blue dust shot up in the air. Peter made it. 

I asked the man to drive me to Peter's house. I wanted to talk to him about that night, ask what had happened in detail. I didn't know yet. And the officer drove me to his house. Aunt May opened. "Cove, what a nice surprise! Peter isn't home yet but you can wait for him if you'd like," she said and led me into the living room. I thought it was nice that she didn't comment on my messy hair or dusty face. 

After a while, it was on the news. Doctor Connors was behind bars. Spiderman had stopped him. Peter came through the door and he smiled at his aunt. He looked like a wreck. If May didn't get it, she could've just been blind. He had scars on his face and dirt everywhere else. He looked tired, and May gave him a weak smile before a long hug. "Sweetheart, it's alright," she said and held him even longer. "Rough night," he answered. He was crying. "It's gonna be alright," she said once more. "But there's someone here to see you."

He looked at me, and his expression dropped straight away. I didn't understand why. He walked over to me and sat down by me on the couch. He looked me in the eyes, but couldn't help it but cry himself. "What Peter? What happened?"

"I think... I think that you should... go home," he said after a while.

"I want to stay with you," I said, but he just shook his head.

"Go home to your father... tell him I'm so sorry."

"Sorry about what?" He looked away from me. 

"Your mom, she didn't... I couldn't..." he broke down in tears. I looked at him in disbelief. 

"My mom is dead?" I asked. I felt the tears behind my eyelids. He nodded and grabbed my cheek, but I looked away. I didn't know where to look, or how to sit, or what to say. My mom was dead. "I can't, I don't know, what?" I dried my tears and got up. I left the room without even saying goodbye. 

I didn't know where I was going, but eventually I would find myself at her funeral.

Aunt May and Peter were both there, and my father thanked them both for coming. "It's just unfair that a daughter should have to go to her mother's funeral," I said to my brother, who had been crying ever since he heard. My sister didn't really understand, but she understood enough.

Peter gave Alice a hug and the rose he had brought for my mother's grave. Alice put the rose on the grave, and all our aunts and uncles cried even more at the sight. 

I hadn't spoken to him since that night, and I didn't know if I should have either. But I went by his house later that night, just to see him again. I needed him if I even wanted to move on with my life. He opened the door. "Hi," I said. He said hi as well, but looked away. "You know, my mother died," I said and moved closer to him. I had been crying on the way to his house. "And I really need you Peter." He looked away.

"I can't do this, I just can't," he said eventually. "I'm sorry, I can't."

"What are you saying?" 

"I can't be your boyfriend anymore," he said with a louder voice. "You mother died because of me. Everyone I care about will be hurt in some way, and I cannot let that person be you." 

It was raining. Usually I loved the rain, now I couldn't think of one thing I hated more. The only thing I could find myself to love was Peter, but he wouldn't love me anymore. "Did she ask you that?" I asked. 

"No," he said, but I could tell he was lying. There was nothing left to say, so I left. Didn't even bother putting my hood on, I wanted to feel the rain. Getting wet was the least of my problems. 

Peter's POV:

"She's such a pretty girl," Aunt May said as I closed the door. "Yeah, that's what uncle Ben said." I remembered he saw her on my computer and pointed her out. "Are you together?" she asked.

"No, I can't. Promised her mother. I'm just no good for her," I said and shrugged my shoulders. but she was good for me. May moved closer to me.

"Peter Parker, if there is one thing you are it's good. If anyone has a problem with that can come talk to me," she said and smiled. I looked down at my phone. Maybe I should call her and make up. 

Thank you for reading this book! I'm working on a second one and it differs much more from the original story than this book.