Webs

I didn't see Peter that weekend, but I didn't expect to. He didn't even respond to any of my texts, but I understood why. There was a funeral, but I didn't know if it was appropriate for me to go, since I didn't know Ben that well. When Peter didn't show to school that Monday, I decided to give him a call. 

Of course, he did not answer. Then I decided to stop by his place after work to see how he was feeling. His aunt opened the door. "Hello, I am a friend of Peter, is he home?" I asked when I saw how confused she was. She looked sad and had red, puffy eyes. 

"Yes, he is down in the basement," she said and gestured for me to come in. 

"I am extremely sorry for your loss. Mister Parker seemed like man," I said and smiled weakly. She smiled and said thank you, before leading me to the staircase leading down to the basement.

I walked down. Peter was sitting by a table, working on something. He didn't hear my coming, but suddenly his body shot backwards. "Peter?" I asked. He turned quickly, trying to get something off his face. "What is that?" I asked, walking closer. "Webs?"

"Well, yes, kind of," he said and got it off his face. 

"Are you making them?" I asked, he looked away. He nodded. I noticed that he didn't look as sad and gloomy that he did that Friday. "Is it working?" 

"Not really, I get how you make it, I just don't know how to store it."

"Have you thought of using a pellet? I mean they can store up till hundreds of meter of a lightweight cable. I'm not sure but just guessing webs would go under that category," I said and sat down. "but what is it that you are trying to do?" 

"I'm trying to make them shoot out of something, a pellet could work actually, I'll try that," Peter said and started looking for one. Eventually, he found one of steel and started trying. It worked, but he still had no idea how to get it to shoot. I was guessing he had been working on that when I walked in. 

"The problem is that you don't have anything to trigger it. Do you want to press like a button or-?" I asked, he shook his head no. 

"No, I want it to follow..." he said, but thought again. "to follow my movements."

"What?!" I laughed, but he didn't laugh. He was dead serious. "Oh, well then you'll need a whole different type of technology. That's not something you could make down in your basement. Maybe try Oscorp, they'll definitely have something there," I said. "What are you doing this for anyway?" He looked away from me, not wanting to answer.

"It's just to take my mind of... you know," he said, and I didn't ask any further. 

 Peter thanked me for the help, and we went upstairs. "What did you come over for?" he asked, but had to elaborate. "I mean I just dragged you into my project without asking... so?" 

"I just wanted to check on you since you weren't at school today. I mean I totally understand, I just wanted to see if you were feeling better," I said and smiled softly. He smiled back and leaned on the wall in front of the staircase. "I am feeling better, thank you. And I'm sorry for Friday, in the hall. You know I was just, tired and... you know," Peter said and scratched his neck. 

"It's fine, you don't need to apologize, I understand," I said and turned to put on my jacket. "Oh and I forgot, my mother asked me to invite you to dinner this week, but you don't have to if you don't want to-"

"I'd love to," he smiled. "When?" 

"Is Saturday good?" 

He nodded, and we said goodbye. Once again I fell asleep with a smile one my face.