~5~

--1 month time skip--

daichi's pov

"alright everyone, get on the bus!" i yell. finally, its time to go to the miyagi prefecture spring interhigh qualifier. i've been super nervous about this, even though weve made it further than we have in years.

the bus is absolutely insane on the way there, and im beginning to lose my temper. hinata's bouncing off the walls, noya and tanaka are throwing food at eachother, and yamaguchi is sobbing into an annoyed looking tsukishima. suga notices my anger rise and he tries to quiet everyone down but of course it doesnt work. "WOULD EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP FOR 5 SECONDS????" damn i did NOT mean to say that so harshly.

the bus falls completely silent, wide eyed stares directed at me. "sorry, that was uncalled for.." i say as i slowly turn back in my seat. i know suga's trying so hard not to laugh beside me, he just knows me too well to be afraid of me.

we finally get to the school where the prelims are held, and our first match of the qualifiers is johzenji high. "this team isn't like every other team, they are very chaotic and adaptable. now i know they are labeled as the party team, but dont be fooled. it wasnt too long ago they beat shiratorizawa." coach ukai explains. the team looks around at each other nervously. really? shiratorizawa? i love our team but we might be in some deep shit.

after a very interesting game, we came out on top winning both sets. we cheered and celebrated the whole night. it was one small victory, but it was one step closer to nationals.

the next day we played wakutani minami high. they were a true defensive powerhouse, so it was crucial to watch their tapes closely and listen to what coach ukai has to say.

it was such a tight match. we were constantly battling for dominance, and every single point mattered. i was incredibly focused even though i was truly exhausted, and i know my teammates felt the same. as we were getting water during a time out, some of the other teams had come in to watch or play their next opponent. i returned to my spot on the court, it was their serve. noya recieves the ball, for just a second, i glance around the court: then i freeze.

on the benches next to shiratorizawa, it was HER. that girl at ukai's store. that one goofy smile has been engrained in my mind since i saw it. i never thought i would even see her again. i cant belie-

we locked eyes. and that was the last thing i remember.

y/n pov

we didnt have to play in the qualifiers, we already secured a spot until the last game. god we are just too good, fuck these other jank ass teams. i sit on the bench next to coach and tendou as we scan the other teams to see who could possibly go against us and not make a fool of themselves. "psh," i hear from my right, "no wonder why we made it without playing. these teams are ass!" tendou slaps his knee and laughs, and i shoulder butted him.

"the hell is wrong with you! you gotta think these things quietly!" i tried to get that sentence out without laughing, to no avail of course. tendou and i are both tearing up from trying to keep the giggles in, as coach gives us a side eye. now i know damn well he thinks this shit is funny.

"i cant believe karasuno even made it this far. do the flightless crows actually have any sort of chance though?" tendou says, pointing at their court. i looked over there just to see what they can do. i see the opposing team serve and a short guy with a blonde highlight receives the ball, actually pretty well, then that famous kageyama kid sets it PERFECTLY to this bald guy and....

my eyes go wide and my heartbeat shoots up. its HIM! the SHELF BOY!!! i didnt know he played volleyball! he looks damn good doing it-

i lose my train of thought when we lock eyes. and then the bald guy slams him into the ground with a loud ass thud and i swear the entire gym froze. i gasped and threw my clipboard to the side and i began to mindlessly sprint to their court.

midway there i stop myself: what the hell am i doing??

i turn around and see my team in complete shock. tendou's eyebrows are knitted together in confusion, and everyone trying to put together what the hell just happened. oh SHIT why did i do that?? i dont even know this dude's name! this is so embarrassing.. i know my face is bright red and so many people have their eyes fixed on me, standing in the middle of the gym.

i turn my head the other way to see him still passed out of the floor while the bald guy panicking and apologizing and a white haired guy tries to wake him up and help him to the nurses room. my gaze floats up and i see.. ukai?? he coaches a volleyball team? i need to really catch up. he smirks at me and makes a "come here" motion with his head.

ah fuck me...

words: 906