~8~

today is the day that we play karasuno in the finals.
i know i shouldn't be nervous, but even so my hands are clammy and i cant sit still.

ill honestly feel bad when karasuno loses.. only because a part of me wants to see daichi happy with his teammates. but i cant lose sight of the success of our team, we HAVE to go to nationals this year! we have such a good chance of winning.

im at war with my thoughts as the van takes us to the school, everyone messing around and laughing. "i've never been so confident in a win, im going to crush them!" goshiki states proudly.

"did you just said IM? more like ushijima! youre just his little bitch right now," tendou teases, booping him on the nose.

"NO IM NOT! im pretty much just as good as him.." he shrinks down, arms crossed. he shoots a glare at tendou, "not like youre any better than me!"

"oh please, you wouldn't last a second as a blocker. im un-STOPABBLE!" tendou says with a smirk. semi rolls his eyes behind them. "would yall stop fighting? this is so stupid, we are a solid ass TEAM. team! so get it together."

"yeah yeah, okay whatever. i was just fuckin with him." tendou scoffs, but he glances over toward goshiki and holds out his fist. he looks over and smiles, returning it with a bump. ushijima, who has been listening the whole time, lets out a soft smile.

9:15am - 15 minutes until the final

i watch from the bench as the team wraps up their pre-game practice. i've been studying karasuno as well, just as coach washijo has asked. they seem pretty stable right now, maybe theyll falter as we rack up the points?

"so y/n what do you think of karasuno?" coach washijo questions.

"they try too many new things. i heard at the training camp they only won 3 games out of 60 or so! they havent even been good since they had the little giant, and i have full confidence in our team." he does an approving nod. "but," i continue, and he shoots me a questioning glance,

"they have many different methods now, other than just the usual. they have two very short players on their team, but those two are some of the strongest on the court. kageyama, their starting setter, is incredible as you must know. especially when he and hinata do that freak quick attack. their captain, daichi, is also very close with the team and can truly inspire each one of them, knowing they have someone they can count on every play. every single person on that team has improved, so i wouldn't take this as an easy win like we thought it would be." after a couple moments of silence, i hear,

"we have the strongest, tallest, and fastest players in the miyagi prefecture. i have a polished team, they are still a mess." and he walks away.

i sigh. i have full confidence in our team, but i know that we may have to put up more of a fight than normal.

timeskip - end of the game

silence fills the gym as the ball slams into the ground, sending echos across the room. every single one of us is in utter shock, as we believed that nationals was secured in the palm of our hands. cheering erupted on the other side of the court, but my hearing became fuzzy as i fell to my knees. i look up at my teammates, my best friends, with despair.

ushijima shoots daggers at hinata before walking away, not saying a word. the rest of us stare at each other in confusion, the reality of the loss sinking in.

"so thats it? were not going to nationals?" tendou whispers. it was our last year at shiratorizawa, and now this is our last game. the end of the line.

we all break out into tears, coach washijo leaving us alone for the time being. as we walk toward our locker room, i turn around to see karasuno still jumping and cheering, some with tears of joy. after high fiving tanaka, daichis bright eyes meet my empty ones. i honestly couldn't bare to look at him any longer, so i quickly turned my head and left the gym.

words: 729