{ 2 }

The platform and train were jam-packed—families wishing their kids off with kisses and goodbyes. In contrast, Draco and I were told to keep a hold of each other. Another lecture on who we were as a pureblood family. Draco pulled me through the young wizards and witches to a compartment that already had two boys and a girl in it. They all welcomed him, while the girl gave me a weird look like she just smelt some terrible rubbish.

"This is my sister, Y/N. That's Blaise, Pike, and Pansy. Unfortunately, she's stuck here with us at Hogwarts." Draco remarked. He didn't sound thrilled he needed to introduce me to his friends or followers.

I gave them a slight wave and an awkward smile as Draco pulled me down onto the comfortable seat by my wrist. I furrowed my eyebrows and shot him a glare. After that, I didn't say much as the Hogwarts Express chugged forward towards the school. I mainly drowned out their conversation until Harry Potter was brought up again. My eyes perked up from their daydream as I listened in.

"I saw him board the train just before you two. Granger and Weasley were right behind him. I heard he was almost put in jail since he used magic outside of school." Blaise informed Draco, who scoffed already knowing this information.

"What is so special about this, Harry? So he survived a magic attack as a baby. So what's the big deal." I piped in, earning looks from everyone in the cabin.

"Exactly. Why is he so special?" Draco spoke with venom behind his teeth, "I knew that prissy school you went to didn't brainwash you from seeing the bigger picture."

"He survived an attack from, the one no one speaks of. Both his parents are dead and gone. All that is left is a scar of a lightning strike on his forehead." So Pike, who sat across, informed me as Draco clearly would've just further complained about the boy. "Besides Potter, did you hear Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban? The Ministry says he is the one who betrayed the Potters that night when they died."

A scoff came from me as I looked out the window. Clouds had turned the evening darker than usual. Rain dripped and pushed down the window at the speed the train was going. Surely Hogwarts couldn't be much farther. But then, the whole procession came to a jarring halt. The group of us were shaken in our seats, "I don't imagine this is a part of the ride to the school." I commented with my eyes dashing around the compartment. The lights dimmed for a moment then returned on. I could hear students murmuring outside; they were just as confused as we were.

The light in our cabin went out entirely as another violent shudder hit the train. Out of instinct, I gripped onto my brother's wrist. He dashed a look at me, then an eye roll, "We just broke down, you bumbling buffoons. Scared of the dark?" Draco sounded cocky.

Suddenly, the temperature dropped as fast as a rock dropped in a lake. Blaise was shocked and spooked that he could see his breath. Swirls and frost cracks covered the window as Pike ran his finger down the cold glass. "I don't suppose the dark does something like this, aye Malfoy?"

Then just as fast as it happened, we were back on our way to Hogwarts. Lights, heat, and rain once again.

"My Father is going to hear about this. Get off me." My brother shook my grip off and crossed his arms.

*~-~*

With two years of magic schooling under my belt, it was awkward to be standing next to first. I needed to be sorted into my house, though, so this was the most reliable option. Professor McGonagall seemed overly delighted to see me. She directed me towards the back so the first years could have their moment. The Great Hall was gorgeous. It was warm and full of light—nothing like Beauxbatons.

"Y/N Malfoy." I stepped towards the hat. I could feel the eyes and hear the whispers from the students. I could partially hear Draco scolding others for asking about me or why he never brought me up.

"Ah, a Malfoy. A different Malfoy. As a tradition, Slytherin seems most common. I see now. Hufflepuff!" The Hufflepuff table cheered for their new member, but not as loudly as they did for the first years. I took a seat at the table. I felt my brother's grey eyes piercing through me from the back of my head.

The headmaster began his speech just as I felt a tug on my robe. I turned my head to be met with a smile from a brunette boy with brown eyes. "Hey," His voice was a low whisper barely loud enough for me to hear, "I'm Cedric Diggory. Hufflepuff prefect. Ignore the others, and their glares don't matter the last name. Stick with the Hufflepuffs. They'll see you through." He motioned to the table.

I nodded with a smile on my face looking back at Dumbledore continuing his speech and warning of the dementors. Thus after dinner, we were shown how to get to the Hufflepuff common room. But as we left the Great Hall, I was pulled to the side by no other than Draco, "Hufflepuff. Really? We are a Slytherin family Y/N."

"Merlin Draco, take it up with the magic hat then! All I did was sit there. Besides, it just makes more scattered out. Father will be pleased to know that Y/N Malfoy's name has spread around the school for being a Hufflepuff."

"Don't become weak like them Y/N. A Malfoy isn't weak." He turned off to only who knows where.

"Y/N?" Cedric approached right after my brother turned the corner, "I assure you that you won't learn where the common room is and how to get in from your brother. Come on."

The halls had died down from the sea of Hogwarts students going to their rooms. Diggory talked about which classes were, where to avoid and how to miss the larger crowds. Down the basement we went until there was a stack of barrels in the way of where Cedric instructed us to go. We had a rhythm password, not a verbal one, unlike the other houses. I closely followed the combination he tapped on the barrels as a passageway opened through the wood.

He nodded his head to go first as I entered the passageway. My eye laid upon the beautiful Hufflepuff common room. Hues of yellow and earth tones made up the decor and the furniture. If it weren't for the plants on the walls, one would think it was too much yellow. The fireplace was bringing warmth to the room as students sat either on the small chair cushions, tables, or couches talking to one another.

"See, nothing to worry about here. Over to there are the girl's dorms and the opposite the boys. Happy move-in day." Cedric patted my shoulder then walked off, probably to meet up with some friends of his.

I took a deep breath as I found my dorm. The room was occupied by three out of the four girls. I noticed they were deep in conversation, so I just went to my bed thought it was best not to butt in. The room was relatively simple. The Hufflepuff emblem is in a rug on the middle with yellows, earth tones, and plants, just like the common room. Except for the small clutter items from the girls in the room to add a touch to their own space.

I noticed one of my new roommates do a small wave toward me from the corner of my eye. I gave my awkward smile and polite silent hello back. Then she was sucked back into the conversation she was a part of. Well, perhaps a future friend acquired even though I do not know her name.

I unpacked my personal belongings and changed into my dull black pajamas. Although I took a quick look at the other girls with their more colorful, comfortable clothing, I never noticed how much grey, green, and black I wore. Without another thought, I climbed into bed, turned off my light, and drifted off to sleep.