{ 22 }

During Study with Professor Snape, I sat across from Hermione, Ron, and Harry. The boys were quietly complaining about not having dates for the ball. I didn't have a date either, but it wasn't a bother to me. I wasn't fully sure if I was even going yet.

I was focused on my writing purely until Fred slipped Ron a note. I tilted my head upwards to read it.

Ron looked over his shoulder and then passed the note back, "Who you going with, then?"

I then looked to Fred to see his response, but he threw a ball of paper at a girl further down the table and used hand jesters to ask her to the ball. She said yes.

For a reason I did not know, it made me a little angry at the way he showed off his flirtation skills with other girls. I looked up at Hermione, who noticed my tense glare, then shrugged to show that it wasn't a big deal.

"Oi, Hermione.  You're a girl." Ron looked over to his friend.

"Oh, well spotted." She remarked.

"Come with one of us." Ron was then interrupted by a book hit from Snape. He hit Harry, too. "Come one. It's one thing for a bloke to show up alone. For a girl, it's just sad." He looked between Hermione and me.

"I won't be going alone because, believe it or not, someone's asked me." Hermione replied angrily and stood up, handing Snape her notebook, then came back to grab her bag, "And I said yes!"

Ron had a sheep look on his face and then looked towards me with a smile, "Hey, Y/N."

"No." I continued writing without meeting eye contact.

"Well, you aren't going with no one." Ron came back with.

"Wrong, I'm going with..." I stopped writing and looked to my left at Fred, who was looking at me. I felt awkward as I actually didn't have anyone to go with, "Ronin asked me." I stood up and handed Snape my notepad, "I also said yes." I walked past Fred and didn't give him a passing glance. As soon as I exited the Great Hall, I ran to try and find Ronin and hoped he didn't have a date.

*~-~*

"Plleeeaassseee Ronin! I won't ask for anything ever again!" I followed the Slytherin around the Library. I was quickly hushed by a nearby student whom I stuck my tongue out to.

"Y/N, you shouldn't lie like that. You didn't need to lie." He pulled a book off of a shelf above him and checked the cover then placed it back, "Besides, how do you know I don't already have asked someone."

"Well, that is why I was running to find you." I followed him quietly for a minute or two, then blurted out, "So did you ask anyone?"

Ronin let out a heavy sigh and turned to face me, "As a matter of fact, no, I did not. That doesn't mean I should play a part in your little fib."

"But it wouldn't be a fib if you just asked me to the ball." I tilted my head over and leaned back on my heels.

Ronin let out a huff and kept walking. I ran up to him and stepped in front of him, "Please? It won't be romantic. Let's just go as friends. We would enjoy ourselves, right? At least you wouldn't have any awkward romantic encounters. Just us as friends?"

He looked over my face then looked over his shoulder, then back at me, "Y/N..." I was waiting for my 'no' answer, "Will you go to the ball with me? As friends?"

I practically jumped, "Yes!" I exclaimed in a soft way, "You won't regret it." I then left the aisle and then poked my head back in, "I'll be wearing purple."

"Alright, alright." Ronin laughed and waved me away.

*~-~*

I stared at the two dresses hung before me on the mast of my bed. "That's it! I'm not going." I slouched down on a stool behind me.

"What?" Rina walked over to me as she put earrings in, "Just pick one, Malfoy. Ronin won't care."

"I don't care if Ronin cares. We are going as friends!" I put my face in my hands. "They just aren't the right colors..." I looked up at the dresses. "Or the right lengths."

"Okay, explain to me why." Hargroff leaned against my bed with that mom's look on her face.

I glared at her, then let out a huff, "The one on the right is too warm of purple and is too long. I'd trip all night." I stood up and pointed to the dress hitting the floor, "The one on the left is a cold purple, and it hits me at my knees."

Rina covered her mouth to stifle her laughter, "Here, let me help you. Put on the long dress."

"But I just said I didn't like it." I gripped the fabric.

"Just listen to me!" Rina helped me lace up the back of it, then handed me the other dress, "Hold it up, come one now!"

I slouched and held up the other dress, "Okay, fairy godmother, help me out here."

Rina pulled out her wand and gave it a whip, "Multicorfors!" A yellow strand came from the wand and wrapped around me. I closed my eyes to block the blinding light of the spell.

Suddenly, I was wearing the perfect in-between dress. It was the perfect color and had the perfect length with a slit going up my calf. It had a sparkle when it hit the light in the right way, "It's perfect. Thank you!" I hugged her.

With that, Rina put my hair into a braided crown with a dash of purple/silver glitter mixed into it. We were ready for the Yule Ball.