{ 29 }

Suddenly, we were at the beginning of the maze. Cheers and applause erupted as Harry sat over Cedric started to cry. I whipped my head around and looked back to Cedric as tears also started to well up in my eyes. I forgot of the world around us as I backed away and crumbled to my knees.

Fleur let out an ear sharp scream to the sight of Diggory. Dumbledore came down to try and take Harry away from Cedric, but he refused to leave.

"For God's sake, Dumbledore, what's happened?" The Prime Minister came up and crouched down as Dumbledore moved to the other side of Cedric.

"He's back. He's back. Voldemort's back. Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him, not there."

Dumbledore held up Harry, "It's all right, Harry. It's all right. He's home. You all are."

The Minister walked up to Professor Snape and McGonagall, "Keep everybody in their seats!" Then he whispered, "A boy has just been killed."

Everyone gasped as I continued to sob with Harry. Professor Moody took Harry off to I don't know where, but I continued to gasp for breath through my tears. Suddenly, I felt arms around me as Fred lifted me up and brought me into his embrace. All I could hear was the cries of despair from Cedric's father as I cried into Fred's chest. "Come on, you don't need to be here. Come on, let's get you to the Infirmary Tower. Let's go."

Weasley escorted me back to Hogwarts with Professor McGonagall. I was silent the entire walk. Tears stained my cheeks, my eyes were red, I didn't know how to feel at the moment. Cedric is gone, Voldemort is back, our parents saved us? How was this all possible in the span of a day and night.

Fred didn't leave my side all the way to the Infirmary. McGonagall left as soon as I was in safe arms. I was switched out of my dress from the party and given a house sweater with jeans. Madam Pomfrey checked my back as a bruise had already started to form. Bandages were placed on scratches, a cooling patch was placed on my back, but I couldn't feel any of the pain yet physically.

Once my exam was done I was on a bed under the covers staring down at my hands. Fred came over and sat on the visitor chair next to me, "How are you feeling?"

I put my hands together and slouched under the covers without saying anything. My eyes avoid his, but I did feel his gaze on me. It felt like he was trying to read my mind, to know more.

"That bad, hm." Fred sighed and leaned forward, "Y/N, there must be something you aren't telling. What reason would you be there still in your clothes from the party? What happened? You can tell me."

"As if..." I muttered and continued my distant look, "Why should I tell you anything after how you treated me after the ball? Practically pretending I wasn't there? Treating me like I was still the cold queen from before?"

Fred looked away and shook his head, "Thought if I didn't say anything we could pretend it didn't happen."

"Did you not want it to happen?"

"No!" He stood up and ran his hand through his hair and went to the end of my temporary bed, "It was amazing. I wouldn't take that moment away for anything. You left after it happened Y/N, I thought you didn't want it to happen. You were ashamed of who would find out, your family, our classmates, everyone."

My eyes finally lifted to his. He was pacing at the foot of the bed with a look of emotional discomfort. I had almost forgotten I was the first one to leave. I shut the door before he did. "Fred...I don't know what to say...I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too." He came back over and placed his hand in mine, "Can you tell me what happened? How do you keep being put in this horrible scenarios."

I shook my head and gripped his hand, "I wish I could tell you Fred, but people aren't ready to know. Everything is happening too fast and too much, I wish I could tell you."

"Then tell me, Y/N. Tell me to lift this off your shoulders."

"I can't" My voice cracked as my heart broke from keeping this secret inside me. My life is a lie and I am not ready to spread it, I wouldn't know where to go.

Fred place his hand on the side of my face and just looked in my eyes as another tear began to fell. His eyes wanted to know the truth, but he didn't ask me anymore questions that night.

He stayed with me for the rest of the night until morning came, everyone was gathered to the Great Hall.