FOURTEEN

"Mark? Can I ask you something about Seth?" Abby asked as she dipped her paintbrush in some purple paint. She was sitting in the living room on one of the kitchen island stools. It was the afternoon after she went to go visit Jill.

Mark was getting ready to go into work. He put his sweater on over his button up shirt and turned to look at her. "Sure. What's up?"

"How did Angelina meet him? She just seemed so out of his league, you know?"

Mark walked over to Abby and rubbed her back as she swept the paintbrush across the canvas. "They met at a bar, actually. I was there. Angelina and I went to go get some drinks and he hit on her. I really didn't like him right away, but she was in her mid twenties and who was I to say she couldn't date someone?" Mark blew through his lips. "Maybe I should have put my foot down."

Abby put the paintbrush down and turned toward him, sighing. "Did he seem like... to be good to her at first?"

Mark shrugged. "He was alright, I guess. Never liked me much because I was a cop. He had quite a few run ins with the law. I guess Angel saw him as someone to fix. She told me he was funny as well, but I never thought so. He worked full time at a mechanic shop so in my eyes I guess that made it better. But we never got along. Once Seth was around I saw her much less because her attention was on him."

Abby nodded, then ran her hands up and down his sides. "I just wonder why... why it happened..."

"I don't know," Mark said shortly. He pulled away from her and went to go grab his jacket. Abby watched him, watched his face as he looked down at the ground and clenched his jaw. Abby stood and made her way to him.

"Come here please."

Mark looked at her as she grabbed his hands. "I didn't mean to upset you, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. All you did was ask questions."

Abby stood up on her tip toes and kissed him gently on the lips. He barely kissed back, so she pulled away and sighed.

"I really am sorry..."

"It's not you hon, I'm just distracted right now," Mark replied. He held her hips from behind and kissed her neck. "How about I make it up to you later, hmm?"

Abby closed her eyes and for some reason, decided now was a good time to blurt out: "I went and saw Jill today."

Mark stopped kissing her and looked at her in confusion. "What?"

"I saw Jill today. I'm gonna stay friends with her Mark."

Abby turned and faced him. His hands dropped from her hips as he narrowed his eyebrows.

"Why? I thought you didn't want anything to do with her."

"She's a mess right now. She also told me she suspects someone and it's not you. I promise she doesn't want to get you into trouble or anything. And she wanted to apologize for making it seem like you were in the wrong and accusing you."

Abby gulped.

Mark nodded, then put his hands on her hips once again. "Okay. I understand. You need friends, and it seems like she made a turnaround."

Abby blinked. "Oh, um... yes! She did."

Mark gave her a small smile, then dipped his head to kiss her. Abby was relieved he wasn't upset, so she kissed back excitedly.

"God, if my back wasn't so sore, I'd opt for a quickie before work," Mark joked, smirking at her.

"Damn you and your sore back," Abby joked back, kissing him once more.