THIRTY

"Mark... why?" 

Abby stared at the man she had been in love with for most of her life. Seeing him disheveled, covered in blood, stubble growing in. It was as if she didn't know who he was. When she noticed the scar she gasped. "What happened?" 

"I don't have much time," Mark told her. "They're going to be looking for me and I need to get out of the city before they start blocking off the roads." 

She wanted to hug him, to run her fingers along his scar, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. 

"I don't understand," Abby choked out. 

Mark lifted a hand to stroke her face, but she slapped it away, the anger she'd been feeling for the past few months coming to the surface. He jumped, eyes wide. 

"How could you do this?" 

Mark set his jaw, then began making his way deeper into the hangar. He started packing up a bag with a few changes of clothes, some money, and a gun, among other things. Abby followed close behind him. 

"Mark! Are you going to answer me?!" She snapped. He didn't respond, instead moving past her and putting the bag by the exit. 

Angry, she couldn't hold her tongue anymore. 

"Hey!" Abby shouted.

Mark stopped.

 "You owe me answers!"

"I don't know what you want me to say," Mark replied, turning to meet her eyes. 

"How about you start with telling me why the fuck you were involved with John Kramer? And where the scar came from? And how about the fact that you murdered three people and I'm assuming more given the blood that's all over you." She gestured to the blood, a disgusted look on her face. 

He sighed as he started searching around for something Abby was unsure of. "I can tell you a simplified version of it." 

"No, I want you to explain everything," Abby told him, tears beginning to roll down her face. "You can't just leave me in the dark about all of this-!" 

"The scar came from Jill," Mark interrupted.

Abby blinked, dumbfounded. Mark shrugged. "She tried to kill me. Put me in a trap. I managed to escape but it took ripping my cheek open to do so." 

"Jill tried to kill you?" Abby repeated, but she had heard him clearly. She was only trying to comprehend what he'd just said. 

"Yes." 

"Why?" 

"Because apparently John wanted me tested. However, she didn't want me getting out of there, so she didn't give me a way to escape. I had to improvise." 

Abby couldn't help feeling anger toward her old friend. "Where is Jill now?" She asked. 

Mark looked down for a moment, then back up at her. 

"Mark... where is she?" 

"She's gone," he replied.

Abby took a deep, shuddery breath. "Was it you?" 

"Yes." 

She shook her head, then began crying harder. While Jill had been a liar, she was a decent person. At least she was before her ex husband started up his games. "How did you get involved in all of this? Why you? What did he see in you?" 

Mark found a gasoline can and unscrewed it, beginning to pour it around the hangar. She watched, but didn't put much thought to it, too focused on getting answers. "He blackmailed me into it hon. It wasn't my choice."