THIRTY TWO

Mark sat up against the bathtub, wanting his eyes to adjust to the darkness so he could at least see shadows but deeming it hopeless. 

He pulled at the chain once more, but knew all too well that he wasn't getting out of there without that saw or something to break his foot with. He mustered all of his strength and let out an angry scream as he pulled at the chain. 

Nothing. 

He threw it down on the ground and before he could help it, he began sobbing. Tears rolled down his face and fell to the floor beneath him. 

Why me? 

Mark leaned his head back and let himself feel all of the pain and sadness he'd been holding in for years. How had his life come to this? Wrapped up in the affairs of a murderer, his sister dead, the love of his life gone? How had he gotten to the point where he felt nothing after killing seven people with his bare hands? 

Getting out of this bathroom was next to impossible. No one knew where it was. 

As he cried, he realized it might be for the best anyway. What would he be living for? Abby wasn't going to see him again anyway, so what was the difference if he was dead or alive? 

Mark brought his knees up and wrapped his arms around them, putting his head down. His breathing was shaky as he tried to calm himself. 

Maybe he did deserve this. 

Angelina would be disappointed, just as Abby was. Their faces began flashing behind his eyelids. He might have turned into a serial killer, but his love for them was always real. He knew deep down if Angel wasn't killed, he'd be a completely different person. She would have loved to see Abby back, and would have probably been more excited that they were together. She might have been skeptical at first, but supportive in the end. 

Guilt ate at him as he rocked back and forth. 

He didn't want to hurt Abby. She deserved so much better than him. His reasons for wanting her to come with him were nothing but selfish. He did love her. He'd never been with someone who made him so happy and had banked on getting away with everything, wanting to ultimately get married and maybe have a kid or two. 

She deserved a normal life. 

Maybe now she'd find someone who could give her that. 

He had never been in such darkness before, mentally and physically. If he really tried, he could make out Adam's skeleton next to him. 

He'd always had a problem with the way he'd died. If John really gave everyone a fair chance, then why didn't Adam get released, or at least get a chance at the key after he woke up? There was still a missing poster for him at the department after so long. He was nothing more then bones now. 

Poor kid. And now here he was, in the same situation. Chained up in the darkness, not given a choice. It was humiliating. 

Mark wasn't sure how long he sat there crying, but after a while he was able to calm down. He began feeling around, trying to find anything that could help him get out of the chain. The only thing he could feel beneath his fingers was rubble every way around. There was nothing in the bathtub that would help him either. Sighing, Mark sat back down and shook his head. 

Was this the end? 

He sat there, eyes closed, trying to come up with a plan. Even if he did get out, his bag would be gone. His car was a decent ways away. He wasn't sure how far he'd get on foot. 

If he just died here, he wouldn't have to face the consequences of his actions, which admittedly wasn't something he really minded. 

That's when he heard a shuffling outside. 

His eyes shot open and he sat up straighter. Had Gordon come back? Why would he? 

The door to the bathroom slowly opened, as if the person was struggling a bit. Mark had only been in the bathroom for about fifteen minutes or so, but the sudden adjustment of light as the mystery person flipped the light switch made him squint in pain. 

"Who's there?" He snapped, trying his best to still seem threatening. 

The person rushed over and knelt down in front of him. "Oh my god..." 

His eyes adjusted and for a moment he thought maybe he was dead, because it wasn't possible for her to be there in front of him. 

"Abby?" 

She stared at him with wide eyes.