TWENTY FOUR

Abby sat in the interrogation room, waiting, unable to touch the coffee that was given to her. 

She had been told a detective would be interviewing her soon, but it had already been roughly twenty minutes. It was getting on her nerves. She wanted to know what was going on, and she didn't want to be left alone with her thoughts. 

With her permission, they were searching through her phone for any hint as to where he could be. Abby knew the fire was him. She just wanted to know why. 

She wanted to talk to him. 

There was a knock, then a familiar detective walked in. It was Matt Gibson, the man she had seen on the news. 

"Hello Miss McCallister. My name is Detective Gibson, I'll be interviewing you today." 

"Just call me Abby," she replied shortly, looking up at him. 

He nodded. "I can do that." 

Gibson sat down across from her and smiled, something she didn't reciprocate. "Alright, so I know you must be confused. Hell, this was a shock to all of us." 

"What's going on?" Abby asked. 

"Well, there's a warrant out for Hoffman's arrest, they're searching for him-"

"Why?" 

Gibson sighed, folding his hands together. "Well Abby, we had someone come forward and accuse Hoffman--with proof-- of being the accomplice in the Jigsaw murders." 

The air caught in Abby's throat as her worst fear was confirmed. 

"Um..." Abby took a deep, shaky breath. "I... don't even know what to say." 

"That's alright. I just need to ask you a few questions." Gibson opened his notepad and sat forward, clicking his pen so it was able to write. "So what exactly is your relationship with Mark Hoffman?" 

"We're together," Abby replied, but she suddenly realized that might not be the case anymore. She couldn't stay with him after this, could she?

"How long have you two been involved?" 

"It's coming up on two and a half years now." 

"So you would say it's serious." 

"Yeah, I would say so." 

Gibson scribbled something on his notepad, then looked up at her. "Did Mark ever mention anything to you about being an accomplice to John Kramer?" 

Abby shook her head, tearing up. "No. Never." 

"Did you ever have any suspicions of him? I mean I don't imagine it's easy hiding something like that from someone you live with." 

Abby thought about it for a moment before responding. "I was getting suspicious toward the end, but I think I just tried to ignore the signs because I was so happy with him." 

Gibson listened, but didn't seem to buy what she was saying. "So when did you start getting suspicious of him?" 

"Recently. Around the time Agent Strahm went missing." 

"So before that he acted normal?" 

Abby sighed, frowning at him. "There were times where he would come home late or leave early, but he's a detective. I never thought too much about it until recently. Besides, like I said, I didn't think he was capable of doing such a thing." Her voice broke as she said the last sentence. She looked down at her hands and let some tears fall. 

Gibson shifted, as if unsure of how to deal with a woman crying. 

"I want to let you know that he is being looked for right now. He murdered three agents tonight at our lab. We've got someone doing their autopsies now, but there's not much left of them. One has been identified as Lindsay Perez."