TWENTY FIVE

Two weeks later...

Abby had gotten a temporary job at a grocery store while she searched for a new place.

 When she and Mark had lived together, Mark made enough to cover the bills and other expenses while she went to school. It made her feel bad, but he'd assured her it didn't bother him. 

She kept the secret phone on her at all times. 

It was in her purse or somewhere she could clearly hear it buzzing. The police had gotten her a new phone that she also kept with her, but they were different types so it was easy to distinguish them. 

Lawrence and Ali had been generous and had let her stay for a couple weeks, but she could tell that Ali felt a bit uncomfortable by it. Abby understood why, but she couldn't help but be hurt by it. She wasn't allowed to be alone with Diana, who by that time was around twelve years old. 

Now, she was waiting in a café for the person who asked to meet with her. 

She'd been unable to sleep, but had been endlessly tired. It was impossible to escape her own thoughts, to not think about Mark. Her mind equally tried to justify what he did and felt guilt for all of the people who had died. 

It was exhausting, but it was inescapable. 

She stared down at the cup of coffee between her hands. Funny, she'd just warmed up to the drink. Glancing up, she noticed the man walk through the door. 

Abby took a deep breath and got his attention. 

Fisk -- or Keith-- made his way over to her. 

"Hey," Abby said, standing to give him a one armed hug. 

"Hey," he replied, reciprocating. They both sat down, Keith exhaling sharply. "I know this might be a dumb question, but how are you?" 

Abby chuckled, then shrugged. "I'm confused." 

"Me too," he replied. He folded his hands in front of him and met Abby's eyes. "I just never saw this coming, you know?"

Keith had reached out a few days prior and asked to meet up to talk. Abby had agreed because they had both been blindsided, both had no idea despite being close with Mark. She felt he would understand her better than anyone, and that he most likely needed someone to talk to as well. 

"Me neither," she replied. 

"I mean, when Baxter ended up dead, the thought did cross my mind, but he's always been a good guy you know?" 

"I know."

Keith shook his head. "I'm sorry if you're not up to talking about it..." 

"No, it's okay," Abby said. "I actually feel like I need to." 

Keith nodded. Abby slid her untouched coffee over to him. "I didn't drink it. There's just a lot of creamer and sugar in it." 

He gave her a small smile and accepted the drink. 

"Have you found a new job yet?" Abby asked. 

He took a sip of the coffee before responding. "I have. It's a department in Millington. Can't say I miss this place too much, heh." 

That was the closest nearby city, about thirty minutes away. 

"Well that's good," Abby said, smiling. 

"And what about you? Where are you staying? I know you guys lived together and I'm sure they're not letting you stay there anymore." 

Abby ran her fingers through her bangs for a moment to get them out of her eyes. "I'm trying to find a place right now. I'm staying with Lawrence Gordon and his family. I found a job. It pays decent, but I have to save up to make a deposit on an apartment so I've just gotta wait for a while."