I Saw God Today

August 17th; 2024
Olivia Flowers Point of View
Lucas and I both look at the floor as the fluid continues to trickle. Excitement didn't come over me, it was pure fear. The type of anxiety that fills your chest and everything feels loud.

"But you aren't supposed to have the baby for another month." Lucas says.

"I know, I know."

"What do we do?"

"Go to the hospital!"

"I thought it was contractions and then the water breaks and the whole thing. We are supposed to wait the 7-8 minutes and-and like-this isn't how it's done." Lucas begins to speak a hundred miles per hour.

I grab his shoulders and slap slap him in the face. "GET IT TOGETHER!"

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING."

"ME EITHER BUT YOU'RE NOT HELPING!" I yell at him.

"Uh car keys. CAR KEYS! Let's get that!"

"I'll go get my dad and meet you at the car." The two of us go in two different directions. God I swear I'm going to be raising two children. I look and find my dad watching tv.

"Dad, the baby is coming. We need to go to the hospital." I say in the calmest voice as possible.

"WHAT?! But like, you're too early! WHAT IS GONNA HAPPEN?!" He screams.

"CAN ANYONE IN THIS HOUSEHOLD BE CHILL?"

"I CAN'T FIND THE KEYS!" Lucas yells, still panicked.

"Did you check the key rack? The place we keep the keys." I sigh.

"Found them!" Lucas exclaims and I just sigh loudly. I'm surrounded by idiots.

"But I'm not ready to be a grandfather! There's so many things I haven't done yet. I haven't seen the Statue of Liberty or finished a marathon."

"Okay Dad, you've seen the Statue of Liberty and since when did you ever want to voluntarily run? Also, what does that have to do with being a grandfather?!"

"I DON'T KNOW!" He begins to hyperventilate and I roll my eyes. I sit next to him and put my hand on his back.

"It's gonna be okay. We will take it one step at a time. First we just need to go to the hospital."

"One step at a time?"

"Yeah." I nod my head and slowly stand up.

"Okay okay"

"Are you ready now?"

"Yeah I think so." He stands up and walks with me. Lucas gets in the driver seat and I open the door for my dad to get in. I guess no one is helping me? I get into the car and buckle myself in.

"Uh, how do you drive?" Lucas asks.

"OH MY GOD DRIVE!" I scream at him.

Lucas pulls out of the garage and begins to drive to the hospital. Finally. God how hard is that? I bite on my lip as I feel an actual contraction. Oh god that is-that is not delightful. I need an epidural or to be sedated until I'm done.
By some miracle we make it to the hospital without running into anymore "issues."

"Here, let me help you." Lucas has seemed to finally calm down and he helps me into the hospital and into a wheelchair.

"Thank you babe...wait, where's my dad?"

"I think he's still in the car..."

"I'll just check myself in. You go get my dad since he's suddenly turned into a 4 year old."