14

I ran the hairbrush through my hair, trying to make it as smooth as possible. My low heels clicked on the floor as I shifted my weight, sighing. It was Christmas Eve now, and I was on my way to my friend's Christmas party. She lived in New York as well, but she lived off-campus.

I finished and put the hairbrush down on the counter, biting the inside of my cheek as I looked at myself in the mirror. I had done my makeup minimally and had gone with a long-sleeved red dress. It was short, so I wore some black tights underneath. My black heels were tight on my feet but I didn't mind.

I hopped out of the taxi, shrugging my jacket on tighter. My friend Kat, the one throwing the party, was very popular. Her dad was some sort of music producer so she was always bragging about how she's friends with all sorts of celebrities. I didn't want to go to this party, but it wasn't like I had anything better to do tonight. The car zoomed away, ruffling my hair with the wind it created. Taking another deep breath, I walked into the building, the security guard glancing at me and letting me in. I bit the inside of my cheek as I made my way into the elevator, finding her floor and leaning against the side rail. It wasn't long before it came to a stop and the doors opened, neon lights spilling in and heavy music pumping in the air. I bit the inside of my cheek and stepped out, not expecting this but at the same time not surprised. The source of the music was coming from some speakers across the room. I noticed the dark figures all around, dancing, chatting, and-well whatever that was in the corner. Attempting to find someone I knew, I headed over to a light which seemed to be the kitchen.

It wasn't incredibly dark, especially considering the huge windows that let the lights of New York shine throughout, but I couldn't make out any faces quite yet. Suddenly, my foot lost its way, and I bumped into a tall figure standing alone in front of me. It was a man, I could tell from his short-cropped hair. He let out a quiet "Ah!" Before steadying me with his arms until I was balanced.

"I am so so sorry!" I said, embarrassed. Red flushed to my face and I was glad for the low lighting.

"Don't sweat it. Heels can be tricky in the dark," he said. I could make out the grin on his face as he stood above me.

"You wear heels?" I asked. "Not judging you, that's, like, awesome." I corrected myself, hoping my tone didn't come across as rude. He immediately shook his head. I heard him chuckle.

"No, no. Heels aren't my thing. Though I can rock some sandals," he responded. I laughed at the unexpected response, imagining him standing there with sandals. I looked down in the dark but only saw a pair of beaten-down sneakers. In this quick moment, I studied him. He had bleached hair that laid short against his forehead, with tattoos lining his arms. He wore a black tank top despite the cold, (which was insane, by the way) and sweats. Not very classy for a party, but you do you, man.

"I'm Pete," he said, extending an arm. I smiled up at him as the light from a nearby building shone, letting me see his face.

"I'm Cleo, nice to meet you," I answered, shaking his hand lightly.

The night passed quickly. I and Pete talked for almost an hour but eventually went our separate ways to greet our friends. I found the friend who was hosting, Melanie, lying drunk on a lush green couch. Her head lay in a handsome man's lap and her legs in another girl's lap. I grimaced at the sigh as she slowly up, blinking slowly. She saw me on the side and came over.

"Cleo! So glad you could make it!" She pulled me into a quick hug and I faked enthusiasm.

"Me too! Great party," I complimented. She smiled. 

"Glad you could stoop down enough to visit the normies," She remarked. I scrunched my eyebrows, confused at the statement. She looked amused.

"Because you're all famous now," She added, raising a brow.

"What do you mean?" I questioned my heart rate quickening. Her jaw fell slightly open and although she was swaying slightly, she snorted, pulling out her phone. I bit my lip as she scrolled for a second. 

"Here," She said, handing me the clean iPhone. What I saw on the screen almost knocked the air out of me.

It was pictures of me and Timothee. 

A/N: I APOLOGIZE FOR THE UPDATING DELAY!!! I'm so sorry! I've been busy with school and things lately but I'm slowly starting to lean back into writing this. wishing you all the best! xoxo