nyctophilic. 23

Jia groaned in pain as the poison coursed through her, the black veins crawling up her neck. She tried to push the pain away and focus but it was slowly taking her over.

The group ducked down a path, the scenery growing more rocky and dark as they continued. Eventually they entered a cave. Ores and crystals lined the stone that encased them. Further down into the cave laid the three headed beast.

The others were trying to figure out what to do but Jia was too worried about renjun to think about herself. She was scared for him, not for herself.

Suddenly the pair rounded the corner of the cave and Jias eyes lit up. It was like a weight was lifted off of her. She felt lightheaded after all the physical strain. She was barely managing to stand.

Renjuns eyes flooded with worry as he saw how far the poison had reached in such little time. "Shit. Jia, did he tell you anything about getting the antidote? Anything at all?" Renjun asked breathlessly. "No, just get me down there I'll figure it out." Jia responded shakily. She was running out of time and she knew it. "No! Jia, that thing will kill you if you go near it." Renjun argued.

"Renjun! Unless you want me to die, let me go down there." She snapped. He pursed his lips in silence. She could tell he was conflicted. "Trust me." Jia said quietly.

"Fine. But I swear if you are wrong I will bring you back to life and kill you again myself." He muttered. Jia laughed lightly at the statement.

"Everyone stay here. I don't want you all getting hurt if this backfires." Jia said to everyone. "No way we are leaving you! What if that thing attacks you?" Donghyuck exclaimed.

"Do what she says." Renjun spoke up. Everyone looked at him partially shocked yet confused. Jia looked to him. He locked eyes with her and nodded. A smile took over her face.

She began walking down towards the beast. With each step she felt weaker. She pushed herself forward, refusing to give up so easily. Nearing Cerberus, Jia was careful with her steps. She didn't want to set the beast off.

Stepping out into the open area, she made eye contact with the three headed dog. It perked up at the sight of her, each head beginning to growl as it stood up. Jia was scared but she didn't care in that moment. She stepped towards it. Cerberus began to grow more aggressive. The closer she drew, the angrier the beast became.

With one final step, cerberus charged at Jia. Everyone screamed, not having enough time to rush down there. Jia remained calm. Her wings emerged from her back and her eyes shined a golden color. At this, Cerberus stopped in front of her. The creature was taken aback but Jia simply reached her hand out towards it.

Each of the three heads looked at her cautiously. They didn't know how to react to the contrast between her golden eyes and pitch black wings. Jia took notice to the vile that was latched onto the middle heads collar. She held out her hand and placed it gently on the snout of the middle head to show she wasn't a threat. As expected, the creature was still defensive as the other two heads continued snapping at her trying to attack.

"I'm here to help you." She whispered. With those words, all three heads calmed down. They stared at Jia with soft, wide eyes. A pleasant contrast to their previously fierce and angry ones. Once she was sure she was safe, she got closer and took the vile from the middle heads collar.

Without hesitation, she chugged the contents of the bottle and almost immediately felt better. The black flushed from her veins and she fell to her knees feeling the overwhelming sensation.

Renjuns first instinct was to run down to help her but he knew better as to not set of Cerberus. Instead, Jia collected herself and looked up to the three heads of the dog that were still staring at her. "I'll come back for you. I promise I'll get you out of here." Jia smiled, stroking their chest.

She could tell they trusted her. That was enough for her. "I'll be back soon. Trust me." She said one last time before running off towards the group. As soon as she got close, she was clamped into a tight hug by Renjun.

Jia was taken by surprise but hugged him back nevertheless. Her feet weren't touching the ground, instead dangling a few inches from it as she was suspended in the hug. "Never scare me like that again." He whispered as he held onto her. She laughed softly. "No promises." She replied as her feet finally met the ground.

Looking towards the rest of the group, she met the giddy eyes of Haewon. She was holding in a massive smile as she saw the two together.

As they all exited the cave, things started to seem easier. Not so rushed. Small talk was being exchanged between everyone and for once, Jia was able to realize that she finally, after all these years, felt at home.

She and Renjun walked side by side each quiet as they listened to the others talk. Suddenly, their hands touched slightly as they swung by their sides. The two noticed and yanked their hands back as they made flustered eye contact before looking away immediately.

She wanted to hold his hand. She was nervous about the next part of the journey. But maybe that was only a part of the reason she wanted to hold his hand. Maybe it was because her heartbeat grew faster whenever he came near.

After carefully letting their hands back at their sides, a few minutes passed before Renjun finally built up the courage to slowly intertwine his hand with hers. She felt her heart speed up and cheeks flush at the contact. Biting back a lovesick smile, she glanced over at Renjun who was looking at the ground. She squeezed his hand gently and looked away.

Renjun then looked over to her, afraid his heart was beating loud enough for her to hear. She made him so nervous. He, just like her, bit back a lovesick smile and looked away before he made it anymore obvious.

He swung their hands back and forth gently. The pair continued to sneak glances at each other when the other wasn't looking. That is until they both turned at the same time and locked eyes, cheeks flushing pink as they both looked away quickly.

In the moment, all she could think about was him. All he could think about was her. For just a moment, they forgot about everything expect for each other.

—————————

IM BACK HI