nyctophilic. 5

Scared was an understatement. Jia was absolutely mortified. She was noticeably off the next day at school. Haewon looked to the girl worriedly as they walked into their classroom. "You okay Jia?" Haewon asked. Jias eyes widened, "Yeah why do you ask?" She responded quickly. "You have looked scared the whole day, did something happen?" Haewon asked suspiciously.

"Nothing happened, I'm okay." Jia faked a smile, her eyes nervously flickering to Renjun who was sat watching her like she was his prey. Her eyes met with his red ones and she panicked, looking away. Haewon noticed, her eyes darting to Renjun, her eyes glowing a dark red as she scowled at him. "What did he do? Do i need to beat his ass?" Haewon asked protectively. "No! No he did nothing! And I don't think you would really wanna fight him," Jia mumbled the last part. Haewon still caught her last words but decided to ignore it.

With a snap of her fingers, Haewon stopped time. A sharp growl left her lips as her eyes shone a neon red. She spun around on her heel, locking eyes with Renjun who had his feet kicked up on a desk. A lazy smirk rested on his lips as Haewon stormed over. With a finger pointed at him, she stood right in front of him. "What did you do to her?" She growled out. "Oh Haewon, I thought we were friends! What's with the anger?" He spoke, clearly sarcastic. "Tell me!" She slammed her fist on a desk. "I did nothing. I gave her answers." He said calmly, an antagonizing tone in his voice. "What are you talking about?" Haewon asked.

"You know what she is don't you?" He folded his arms, nodding over to a frozen Jia. "What?" Haewon asked, genuinely confused. "Your little friend over there is a fallen." The words were like venom to Haewon. "No... there's no way." Her fangs popped out. A simple wave of his finger sent a small wave of bright red magic flying at Haewon, hitting her in the forehead and suddenly all the information hit her. It was like she had gotten the wind knocked out of her, fangs growing sharp and her eyes illuminating even more. "You know what will happen if we don't make her one of us." He said scarily.

"She doesn't know that I'm a demon. I can't make her one of us, you know only the one that can do that is the first demon they see. You were the first weren't you?" Haewon asked quietly. "Yes I was. But tell me Haewon, why should I help her?" Renjun brought his feet to the ground and leaned forward. "She's all i have left and you know it. Save her Renjun. Please." Haewon was nearly begging. "I'll start the process a week from now. In the meantime keep her distracted and reveal yourself to her. Don't answer any questions she asks." He sighed. "Yeah... okay." Haewon sighed.

She returned to the spot she was at before she stopped time, Renjun snapping his fingers this time. Time began again, everyone seeming to comeback to life. Haewon acted just as she did before talking to Renjun, her mind flooded with thoughts. "Hey Jia it's Friday, you wanna have a sleepover tonight?" She asked, hoping that Jia would say yes.

"Yeah sure. My parents won't care." Jia spoke, giving Haewon a small smile. Haewon certainly didn't want the events that would follow that night to occur, but what could she do? She felt powerless in the fact that she couldn't save her best friend.

The school day flew by very quickly, as if time sped up when Haewon wanted it to slow down. "Hae, I'm going to run home and grab my bag then i'll come over." Jia spoke as the two stood at the gates of the school. Haewon smiled, giving the girl an affirmative nod before they parted ways.

Haewon mindlessly began walking back to her earthly home. Somewhere in which she never was unless Jia was around, otherwise else living in her real home in hell. literally. "Hae!" An all too familiar voice called for her. It was her soulmate, Jeno. "Renjun told me you found out. Yknow about Jia?" He walked next to her. "You knew?" She asked. "We has to press the matter on him because his fangs were out every time he looked at her but yes, all six of us knew." He explained.

"I have to tell her about me tonight. Renjun told me to. He said he's going to begin the demon process next week." She sighed, adjusting the strap of her backpack. "Any idea how you are going to tell her?" Jeno questioned. "Not a clue. I'll think of something. I don't think anything will change between us even after she finds out. She would never throw our friendship away like that, I've known her since we were kids for crying out loud." Haewon ranted out.

"Well do you know when you will be coming back to the house?" He asked. "Probably in the morning when Jia leaves. Renjun said I cant answer any questions she has about the demon world so all I can do is reveal myself." She responded. "Hae?" Jeno looked good the girl who was clearly stressed. "Are you going to tell her about everything?" He quipped, her eyes meeting his. Haewon took a deep breath in and thought really hard about her next words.

"Yes. She deserves to know the truth."

————————