[ 𝟏 ]

A strong breeze cut through the cool atmosphere. I rubbed my hands on my shoulders as I shivered. The winter wind felt colder up in the mountains, especially around midnight. The paved pathway was empty except for the three of us.

I'm Wang Mingxia; welcome back to my life.

Beside me walked two of my best friends. Giselle, the girl with straight brown hair ending at her mid-back, was on my left. Next to Giselle was Winter, a girl with blonde hair with blue tips at the end. Winter made little braids in her hair as we walked.

"We're going to leave tomorrow," Winter spoke up. "I don't want to go back to school."

The three of us were visiting Japan for our 11th-grade winter vacation. Giselle, our half-Japanese friend, gladly offered to show us around her hometown and other famous spots.

"Minnie must be so excited to see Lucas," Giselle commented.

"No, I'm not!" I replied. "I'm excited to see my mother again."

"Uhuh, totally," Winter added.

"Stop it!" I felt my cheeks heat up.

"Winter, we both know you secretly stay up texting Jungwoo every night," Giselle teased Winter.

Her eyes lit up with happiness at the sound of Jungwoo's name but her expression resembled a shocked Pikachu face. I giggled and Giselle chuckled.

"Stop teasing me," Winter whined. "Or else, or else."

Winter's eyes glanced around and a grin grew on her face.

"I won't give you back your hoodie Elle."

Giselle let out a dramatic gasp and clasped her hands together.

"Oh my my, I'm so sad!" Giselle said.

"Your choice," the other shrugged.

"Kim Minjeong, you better not steal my hoodie."

"As long as you stop teasing me."

"Uh, we're on the correct path right?" I interrupted their conversation.

Giselle stretched her neck to get a better look farther away.

"Yup, the shrine is nearby."

"Hey, do you guys want candy?" Winter asked. We nodded and she handed us a few bite-sized colorful spheres wrapped in clear plastic.

The three of us arrived at the shrine at 11:58 pm. On the night of New Year's Eve, a lot of Japanese people go to pray at a shrine at midnight. They wish for a good year ahead.

I clasped my hands together and shut my eyes. I prayed that the rest of high school goes by well. A loud bell was rung, signaling that the new year had started.