[ 𝟏𝟒 ]

"That's all for today," my guitar teacher announced.

It was a special day: the absent guitar teacher had finally appeared.

Kids hurried out of class and left on their way. I slung my guitar case over my shoulder and walked upstairs to Dejun's class. Earlier, I had asked if I could tag along with him to his practice room because my mom planned to pick me up later than usual. Dejun agreed, which is so kind of him.

As usual, we practiced playing our guitars for an hour or so. When it was time to leave, Dejun packed up his things and put his guitar back in its case. This time, he sat back down on a desk and tilted his head towards the window. His coffee-brown eyes warmly gazed at the sky in admiration. Yet there was a hint of worry in them. I sat beside him, silent, careful not to interrupt his thoughts.

"Can I tell you something?" Dejun asked. "I need some advice."

"Go ahead," I replied.

"So, there's this girl that I like."

I pursed my lips and rested my chin on my hand.

"She's like me: shy and caring. We both know each other. She plays the guitar too."

I didn't break the silence; I just removed my hand and wrapped it around my legs which were folded against my chest.

"It's been some time now. We're pretty close and all but I'm not sure if she knows that I like her. I want to confess to her."

Dejun gazed back at the sky which had transformed into a darker shade of blue, shades of orange still appearing at the edges. My heart cracked into pieces as if someone had split a piece of wood in half.

It hurt. It hurt to hear about this other girl.

I blinked a few times and faked a smile, attempting to hold my tears back. After all, I'm his friend, I care about him, and I should be happy for him and help him the best I can. I tapped my fingers against my knee and offered a suggestion.

"You should confess to her."

"But I'm not sure how she will react to it," Dejun said.

"Just go for it. Besides, what matters is that you stay true to your heart."

Dejun hugged his guitar, nodding as a smile grew on his face. He was probably thinking about his crush. I looked towards the door, quickly blinking my tears away.

I will never confess to Dejun. Not at all. It's better to keep my feelings to myself than to get rejected again. Especially now that I know he likes someone else.