[ 𝟓 ]

"Winter, could you please pass me the chocolate chips?" I asked the blonde-haired girl who was currently being chased by another girl holding a spatula in her hand.

"Kim Minjeong, don't you dare put my precious keychain in the oven," Giselle said with a stern tone in her voice.

Winter continued to laugh until she stopped running. She held the chair for support and couldn't stop laughing. Giselle grabbed her keychain back from her.

"I was just joking Giselle!" Winter spoke. "You look so cute when you're angry."

"I do not!" It cracked up Winter again and this time I couldn't stop my laughter either.

"Maybe we should just bake the muffins on your head," I commented and Giselle started laughing.

"Sure thing Mingxia."

Today was March 4th which marked the eve of my 17th birthday. Giselle and Winter insisted that they wanted to bake chocolate muffins for me. However, since I like to bake too, I invited them over to my house to make the muffins together.

Winter opened a fresh bag of chocolate chips and added it to the bowl as I mixed it with the muffin batter. Giselle checked the oven and confirmed that it was ready. Then, she added cupcake liners to the tray and brought it over to the table. The three of us took turns pouring the batter in even amounts in each section. Finally, I put the tray in the oven and we let it bake.

While the muffins were rising and preparing to be edible, the three of us chatted away. A loud alarm rang when the muffins were ready. Giselle pulled out the tray and we all jumped in joy.

"Now the main part," I reached for the tray but Winter swatted my arm away.

"It's still hot, we should let the tray cool down for a bit."

"There needs to be some coffee to go with the muffins," Giselle suggested.

After the muffins cooled down and the coffee was made, we sat on the sofa. Giselle flipped through the channels picking a movie to watch. Winter and I gathered pillows and blankets to get comfy.

"Now can we eat the muffins?" I asked and Winter nodded.

I carefully unwrapped the cupcake liner and gazed at the muffin. It had a vanilla-golden color and chocolate chips dotted throughout the muffin. I took a bite and the chewy and soft muffin melted in my mouth.

The three of us watched movies for the rest of the evening. We planned to stay up till midnight. They wanted to wish me a happy birthday first.

Suddenly, I felt someone shake my shoulders. Opening my eyes from a deep slumber, I rubbed them as they adjusted to the brightly lit living room. Giselle and Winter stared at me as I sat up on the sofa.

"Did I fall asleep?" I asked them.

They nodded with huge smiles on their faces which was suspicious.

Are they up to something? Did they do something while I was asleep?

Giselle and Winter made eye contact with each other and moved away revealing a surprise. In the middle of the coffee table was a huge cake with a candle on top. At close observation, the cake was formed by piling the muffins baked earlier.

"Happy Birthday Minnie!" Giselle and Winter exclaimed.

Slowly, I felt water droplets form in my eyes. I sniffled a little and grab a tissue off of the table.

"Why are you crying?" Giselle asked.

I shook my head and replied, "I just feel emotional."

Both of them hugged me tight and I thanked them.

"I love this so much. Thank you. I feel so happy right now."