[ 𝟕 ]

??? POV

"Hey kiddo," the person on the desk greeted me. I waved back and signed my name on a check-in sheet. I glanced at the clock; it was currently 5:45 pm.

I strolled into the familiar halls of the building. I pushed open the door of my classroom and took a seat. Kids around me chatted with each other. They turned silent the moment our teacher walked in.

"Good evening," the teacher announced. "You guys should already know that we're volunteering today. The roles were discussed last week. I expect you all to get ready in 5 minutes and head to your designated rooms. Good luck."

After the teacher's mini-speech, I pulled out my phone to check which room I was supervising today. A lot of teachers were absent today, well every Friday. My teacher coaches us on guitar but for the more advanced level students, he lets them supervise the other beginner level classes. I have been learning guitar ever since I was a little child.

Room 127. Room 127 should be on the first floor.

I took a flight of stairs and searched around for my assigned room. Opening a brown wooden door, I popped in my head to see if anyone was inside yet. A lot of kids looked like they were in primary school or entering junior high. I set my guitar and backpack on the massive desk in the front and clapped to get everyone's attention.

"Hi guys, I hope you're having a good evening so far," I spoke up. "I'm here to fill up for your teacher who is absent today. For the rest of the class, you can all just practice whatever you want. Please be respectful to one another and do not hit each other with your instruments."

I started setting up my guitar and looked back up. A girl, about 11 years old, had walked up to me.

"Uhhh, sir..?" she said.

"You can just call me Mr. Xiao," I informed. "Do you need something?"

"Can I use the bathroom?" the girl asked.

I nodded and went back to tuning my guitar. While supervising, I planned to just practice some songs that I had been working on recently. Since summer had begun, I wanted to write a fun and happy song. It's been harder than it seemed though. Most of the time I usually write sad songs it suits my vibe better.

After a while, I switched to practicing some songs I usually play when I am bored. I looked back at the students in the class; most of them were working on what they were supposed to be. Suddenly, one of them caught my eye.

She looked older than most of the kids in the room. I assumed that she was around my age so that meant she was in high school. She wore a white t-shirt with a collar and a pair of denim blue jeans. Her coffee-brown hair was braided and tied into pigtails. The girl held a guitar in her hand but was struggling to tune it. Setting my instrument aside, I walked up to her.

"Excuse me, do you need any help?" I asked.

Her brown eyes met mine and we stood there for a few seconds. Her eyebrows were raised due to worrying about her guitar. Her rosy lips curved downwards showing a pout.

"Um, I'm trying to tune my guitar to play this song..." her voice wandered off as she rummaged through her green folder.

At last, she pulled out her music sheet and handed it to me. I examined the notes on the paper and started tuning her guitar. She observed my actions, probably to remember how to adjust it correctly next time. Once I finished, I handed the guitar back to her. She bowed and looked at me with a huge smile on her face.

"Thank you so much!" the girl said.

"No problem."

I walked back to my seat and picked up my guitar once again. For one last time, I glanced in the girl's direction. She concentrated on playing the right strings. A smile spread across her face when she discovered she performed it accurately. My lips curved upwards because of her beautiful smile.