[ 𝟗 ]

Next week, I was back at the building for guitar lessons with an absent teacher. I wasn't sad about it; in fact, I was happy.

I would get to see Dejun again.

I went to my desk and carefully set up my guitar, this time the proper way. Fortunately, a brown-haired boy with a navy blue hoodie walked into class. He delivered the exact instructions as last time, then set up his guitar. Everyone went back to practicing their instruments. I walked up to Dejun with my guitar and greeted him.

"Nice to see you again, Mingxia," he said.

"Can I sit next to you?" I asked.

"Sure."

Dejun started playing his guitar. I tried to identify the song though it was unknown to me.

"What song is that? I've never heard of it before."

"Oh, it's my song," he explained. "I wrote the song."

"That's so cool!" I exclaimed with amazement.

He played the guitar for a while and then set it aside.

"So, what got you interested in learning the guitar?" he asked.

"Well, I just wanted to pick up a new hobby. What about you?"

"Oh, well it's kind of like a thing passed down in the family I guess."

"Sounds nice," I said. "When did you start volunteering?"

"The beginning of summer. A lot of teachers were taking leaves and wouldn't turn up so my teacher got offers for substituting in other classes. However, he's one man and can handle only one classroom at a time so he needed multiple people. He asked the head of these music lessons if he could send his group to handle the classes and give them volunteer hours in exchange. I signed up because I need a lot of hours before I graduate anyways."

"Makes sense."

"Oh, and my teacher gives out a lot of candy. Who doesn't like candy?" Dejun chuckles. "Well, that's enough about me. What about you?"

"Me? What about me?" I asked.

"Hmmm," Dejun placed his guitar on his lap. "What grade are you in?"

"Grade 11. Well, I'm going to grade 12."

"Oh, same," he put out his hand as I high-fived it.

"You know, I feel inspired to volunteer now. I haven't done much so I need to step up my game."

"Well, we could volunteer together," he said. "I heard there is this animal shelter nearby that is accepting new volunteers but they accept it in duos."

"Oh, sounds fun. I'll ask my mom about it."

Dejun smiled as we went back to practicing on our guitar.

|

|

|

Hey everyone,

Sorry for not updating quite frequently! School's been keeping me busy so I haven't found a lot of time for writing. Hopefully, I can get back to my uploading schedule, or if not, at least write a little more than I do now.

I'm thankful for each and every reader out there, I really mean it. Each one of you matters to me, no matter if you're just a casual reader or one that looks out for my updates. Thank you so much.

Take care,

Rei <3