[ 𝟔 ]

I ran through endless hallways yet I could not find Lucas anywhere. After some time, I spotted a blonde-haired boy.

"Jungwoo, have you seen Lucas?" I asked.

"Oh yeah, I think he headed outside," Jungwoo said.

I thanked him and headed in the direction of the school gates. Today was the graduation party for seniors. The ceremony had just finished and everyone was socializing throughout the campus. A lot of friends took pictures together and the students not graduating bid farewell to the ones that were graduating. Well, I was meeting Lucas for a similar reason

I opened the building's gates and saw a dark brown-haired boy standing not too far away.

Lucas was a senior, now a graduated high schooler.

I called out his name and he turned around, we made eye contact as he waved to me.

"Mingxia! Didn't expect to see you here," Lucas said.

"Congratulations on your graduation Lucas!" I panted, out of breath due to all the running.

"Thanks" he smiled back.

Birds chirped in the distance up on the trees lined up near the school. Far away, a bunch of guys kicked around rocks and laughed along with each other. Everyone was enjoying their last moments, whether it was the last moments of high school or the last moments with their senior friends.

My eyes glanced back at Lucas who looked back with a calm expression as if he was waiting for me to say something.

"Can I ask you something?" I spoke up, dissolving the awkwardness away with the warm summer breeze.

"Go on."

"I like you..."

Lucas's dark eyebrows rested on his face with a slightly confused expression.

"Okay."

"...and I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me?"

"Oh," his smile faded away. "Sorry Mingxia, but I'm not interested in you romantically. We can be friends though."

My heart sank like an elevator dropping down to the ground floor. My gaze shifted to the smoky grey concrete. A bird landed near my shoe and pecked on it a couple of times. I squatted down and extended my palm towards it. Coincidentally, Lucas reached out to the bird too. The bird flew upwards leaving the ground to soar above in the vast blue skies.

What a bittersweet coincidence.

For a quick moment, his dark brown orbs stared back into mine. He looked away, at the sky, as his hand scratched the back of his neck.

"We're cool right?" he asked, his voice displaying slight worry. "I don't want to upset you or break your heart."

With hesitation, I gulped. The next moment, I looked up and grinned at the tall guy.

"Yeah, we're cool."

Lucas put out his fist and I bumped it with my fist. He grinned back at me and stood up.

"You know, I learned this first bump thing from you. I tried to dress cooler, sort of like you too, but it didn't work. But that's okay"

I looked up and noticed him offering a hand. I placed my hand in his and stood up.

"Don't change yourself just because you want someone to like you," he gazed up at the sky. A flock of birds in a perfect formation flew by. "The right person will like you the way you are."

I let go of his hand and thanked him.

"I'll get going now, Have a good day and may the rest of your life go well!"

"You too! I hope everything goes well after graduation."

His dark brown eyes sparkled and he smiled with his shiny white teeth, a source of happiness that could brighten up anyone's day.

I head back to the building. Before shutting the door, I took one last glance at Lucas.

This was the last time I would be seeing him.

|

|

|

Hey guys, how do you like the book so far? What do you think of Mingxia's character so far?

Let me know your thoughts and feelings so far!

Thank you for reading this far.

Love you all,

Rei <33