Memories

Lysander watched four boxes float into the room and set themselves gently down on the floor at his feet. His nana stood in the doorway.

"Are these all from your past?" he asked.

She swallowed slightly, "In a way."

Lysander opened one box that was labeled, Gunther & Rolf. Inside, he found old sweaters, toys, etc. But one item stuck out to Lysander. Sunk to the bottom right side of the box, a slender object made itself visible. Lysander picked up the wand and ran his fingers along it. The wand had a tough exterior, but Lysander knew that on the inside it was a gentle wood. From everything he knew about wands, they matched their handlers. And the only other person Lysander could think of that was like this-

"This was Uncle Gunther's. Wasn't it?" he asked.

Tina sat down on the bed next to Lysander, taking Gunther's wand in her hand and sniffed.

"Yes. We should probably put this box away. If Rolf sees this, he'll slip into a depression for a few days." she explained to Lysander.

He nodded and put everything back into the box and slid it under his bed to the far back corner. Then, he moved to the next box. It was labeled, Galton.

"Grandpa Gally?" Lysander asked.

Tina smiled and reached into the box, "Your grandfather went through a lot of hobbies as a kid. Saoirse believes she pushed too many stories of his father on him, but I don't think so."

Tina was suddenly quiet, so Lysander reached into Galton's box. One item he pulled out of a small, old-fashioned pocketknife. Tina got a little startled by the little knife. Lysander was confused.

"What? Is the knife cursed?"

Tina chuckled, "No, Ly. When Galton was younger, he had a short-lived crafting phase and whittling was one hobby. He put that hobby down quickly after he cut his hand open with the blade."

Lysander dropped the knife to the floor, narrowly missing his feet. Tina smiled and waved her wand, making the knife float gently back in the box. Lysander reached in and grabbed the next most intriguing thing he saw. A very poorly knitted sweater. The sleeves were bunched up at the seams where they met with the torso of the shirt and the colors were terrible browns and oranges.

"Who made this?" Lysander asked, half terrified by what he was looking at.

Tina took the sweater in her hand, "Saoirse." she stated swiftly before disregarding it.

Lysander open the second to last box labeled, Tina. He looked at his nana after opening it before reaching into the box. He pulled out an old, handmade stuffed rabbit. It was a sandy brown color, kind of falling apart, and it had buttons for eyes that were starting to fall out. Tina took the rabbit from Lysander and stared at it in astonishment.

"I thought this had long since been lost." she stated after a little bit.

"What is it, nana?" he asked, looking at the stuffed animal over her shoulder.

Tina ran her index finger gently along the rabbit's face, "My mama made it for me when I was a child."

Lysander back to the last box, "That's my great grandfather's box, isn't it?"

Tina stared at the box and Lysander thought he could feel her heart sinking. His great grandfather had died shortly after his grandfather was born and it was a very sore subject for Tina because she wasn't there with him and Lysander's papa.

Tina brought the box closer to them and Lysander opened it. Inside was a bunch of old clothes, books, tin soldiers, etc. But Tina's eyes teared up at the sight of one object in particular. She reached down to pick it up and squeezed it in her palm.

"That belonged him?" Lysander asked.

Tina shook her head before standing up, setting the object down in her place and leaving the room. Lysander picked up the object. It was tiny egg-shaped box that looked like it could open.

Inside it was a small piece of paper that read:

Dear Miss Goldstein,

I'm sorry to inform you that your sister, Queenie, was found dead in her home last night. There was a sign of a child living in the home, but they must've fled.

my condolences,

Seraphina Picquery

Lysander's jaw dropped. The only explanation for this was Benjamin took everything that had made his mother sad or angry and hid it so she wouldn't have to look at it again.

He thought about talking to his nana but realized that now wasn't the best time for it. He wanted to know more about great grandfather, but his nana was probably not the best option. From his knowledge, his papa watched Benjamin die, so Lysander thought he shouldn't ask about him to papa.

"Granny Saoirse it is. Maybe I'll talk to Lily first to make sure it's a good idea, though."