Reunion - Part 10

"Coming up on Kashyyyk now," Tech called over his shoulder from the Marauder's cockpit. Reaching over, he knocked Senna's boots off the spot on the control panel where she'd rested them, jolting her awake in the co-pilot's seat.

"Don't make me snap your goggles again," she muttered, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes grumpily.

"Behave you two," Echo teased as he stepped forward to take Senna's place in the co-pilot seat while Tech maneuvered them into a high orbit around the planet. Senna leaned over the back of Tech's seat, glancing over his shoulder as he powered up the scanner.

"So what exactly are we looking for with this?"

Tech punched in a few calibration sequences he'd coded back on Yavin 4. "I've customized the scan to look for any irregular heat signatures not associated with known settlements or installations. Once those are identified, a second scan will sweep for any EMI activity or comm bursts coming from the location. I've programmed in specific comm frequency bands we know the Empire uses to help confirm should we identify any suspect locations."

Senna felt a warm hand on the small of her back and glanced over her shoulder at Rex. She could tell he was still concerned for her, and she took comfort in that as his thumb grazed her spine through her tunic.

I'll be alright. I promise.

He nodded wordlessly, but she could tell her assurance did little to assuage him.

"The planet should be fairly empty outside of the Wookiee settlements," Echo said. "From everything we've heard, the Wookiee population was mostly enslaved after the fall of the Republic since they were loyal to the Jedi. The Imperials took advantage of the structures they'd already built rather than trying to break new ground in the jungle, but even those aren't very useful since they're mostly designed for Wookiees rather than any other species."

Senna nodded. She'd only interacted with a few Wookiees during her time on the planet, but had found them wonderful, a proud people made up of fiercely loyal warriors that were also incredibly affectionate with those they cared for. She had planned on visiting their settlements prior to leaving the planet, but when Order 66 had been issued, every plan she'd ever made evaporated as she fought to survive.

"I've got something," Tech said, and Senna and Rex leaned further forward to peer at the map Tech was pulling up. "Approximately here, near the base of these mountains, there's an irregular heat signature. I'm not seeing any lifeforms near it, but they could be shielded." He punched a few more buttons, and they all watched the readout on the right side of the display. "There are also EMI signatures, but no comms from what I'm seeing."

"Could be that they go radio silent and don't broadcast unless during specific times," Echo offered.

Tech adjusted his goggles as he considered it. "I imagine that would be plausible if it were a highly secret installation."

Senna furrowed her brow as she glanced over the readout. "Something about this doesn't feel right."

"How so?" Rex asked.

She shook her head. "The heat signature seems too dispersed. I would have anticipated it being concentrated like it would be if it came out of a ventilation system. This almost seems like there's some sort of absorption and redistribution happening. The EMI readings are irregular, but again, they're less of the burst I'd anticipate seeing and more of a constant signal."

Tech nodded. "I concur with your assessment, but either way, I'd say this warrants further investigation. Our assumptions are based on what we'd suspect to find normally, but if this base is as classified as claims would lead us to believe, there's a chance our assumptions are incorrect."