Reunion - Part 24

A/N: heads up for some canon-typical violence and PTSD mentions in this chapter

They'd taken their time coming back, checking and rechecking that they'd disabled every possible way to track the shuttle and ensuring they misdirected the Empire with enough random hyperspace jumps to keep them from ever being able to find the Yavin base. Luckily, Tech had provided them with enough doses of sedative to keep Wolffe unconscious during that time. Rex had spent most of the trip back either sitting in the hold with Senna and Wolffe or staring out the front viewport from the co-pilot's seat. He had barely spoken to any of them, and he could feel Echo and Fives's inquiring stares, but still he remained silent. They knew that she and Rex had confronted the Sith lord, but Rex had provided little other details. He'd promised Senna to keep Anakin's secret, but he didn't have a lie yet to take its place.

Once we get the chip out, everything will be different.

He felt Senna's hands slide over his shoulders as they came out of hyperspace for the final time, flying towards Yavin 4, and he reached up to grasp her wrist, placing a kiss to the inside of her palm. She'd hovered around him the entire return trip, although he couldn't be sure if it was for his comfort or for hers.

Probably both.

She'd held it together in front of Fives and Echo with tight smiles and terrible jokes, but the pain in her gaze was evident. She had said she wouldn't grieve for Anakin a second time, but he could see the encounter had ripped that loss open like a fresh wound, and she was barely containing her grief.

As soon as they touched down, Tech, Hunter, and Omega were waiting for them. Rex could see Senna steeling herself, plastering another smile on her face as the hatch opened and Omega rushed inside to greet her.

"Master Atiniir! Were you-" Her words halted as her eyes fell on Wolffe's still form. "Is he-"

"He's alright," Senna assured her. "But he does need his chip removed." Rex watched as Senna and Tech locked eyes, something unspoken passing between them once more. He noted Senna's eyes flicking to Tech's arm, and when he followed her gaze, he could see a bandage on Tech's forearm when his sleeve pulled up slightly.

I'll ask later. When we're both...not like this.

Tech and Hunter helped Fives and Echo carry Wolffe off the ship as Senna and Omega stood off to the side watching. Omega turned to her master, her eyebrows furrowing as she took in Senna's distant gaze and the bags under her eyes.

"Senna," she said gently. "Are you alright? I...I sense something's bothering you."

Senna blinked rapidly before glancing down at her padawan, smiling. "You sense that, do you? You're improving, Padawan." She rested her hand on Omega's shoulder. "It was...quite an ordeal getting Wolffe out. I'll tell you about it later, but I may need to rest a bit first. It's been a long few rotations trying to keep Wolffe comfortable and getting back here. Why don't you go catch up with the others? I'll come find you in a little while after I've had time to recharge my batteries a bit, alright?"

Omega appeared to accept her answer, giving her one last hard look before nodding and jogging off after the others. Wordlessly, Senna turned to meet Rex's gaze, and together the two of them made their way towards where his ship was still parked on the tarmac. Quietly, they strode up the ramp, and Rex closed the hatch, the creaking of the gears deafening in the silence between them. She sat on his bunk, undoing the clasp of her boots and tossing her belt and lightsaber to the floor unceremoniously. Rex sat next to her, pulling his holster from his hips and dropping it to the floor next to her lightsaber. They moved quietly, the silence settling between them, only interrupted by the dull thuds of their gear hitting the deck as they removed it. Finally, Senna stilled, leaning forward and resting her elbows on her knees. Rex sat rigidly for a few moments before allowing his hand to drift over and rest on her back, his thumb stroking her spine through her tunic.