Reunion - Part 25

Beep. Beep. Beep.

The monitor pulled Senna from her sleep, grumbling slightly. Without thinking, she tried to turn her head and winced as she was reminded why she needed medical equipment at all. Her fingers of her right hand drifted up to gently press against her throat, and she swore soundlessly as pain rippled across the muscles in her neck. She swallowed experimentally and tears sprang to her eyes from the burn and strain. At least I'm breathing I suppose.

The beeping continued. A familiar presence stirred next to her, and she smiled as Rex slipped his hand into hers.

"What's that alarm for?" he asked quietly.

"Means I'm due for another dose of pain meds," she rasped. "If I need it."

"Do you?"

She swallowed again, her tongue feeling like sandpaper and lead. The ache radiated up and down her throat, making her wince. "Yes please," she responded. Rex rose, hitting the illuminated button on the monitor. Senna felt the coolness as the IV in her arm injected the drug into her system. The medicine immediately did its work, and she felt herself relax as the pain in her throat lessened. "Thank you," she whispered. "Tech's been taking care of that, but I know he's got other things to worry about." Finally able to turn her head slightly, she shifted and found Rex at her side with a packet of water, extending the straw towards her lips.

"The medic says you probably shouldn't eat anything solid for a while so the muscles don't work too hard, but that you should definitely drink as much water as you can." She opened her mouth, and he slid the straw in. The first swallow was still painful, but the feeling of the dryness in her mouth being washed away helped. After a few careful gulps, she laid back, breathing deeply with a bit of relief as Rex set aside the water packet and came to sit next to her once more.

"Wolffe?" she asked.

"Still being kept under sedation," Rex replied. She could see he was hurting immensely, and she gave his hand a squeeze. "Gregor's going to take him somewhere to heal once this is all done."

Senna knew what was coming, not because she sensed it through the Force, but because Rex couldn't meet her eyes. "You're going with them," she said quietly.

He finally glanced up at her, his eyes glistening even in the dim lighting. "Tell me to stay, and I will," he replied, his voice cracking. "This is up to you."

She smiled, fighting the lump that was quickly rising in her throat, bringing her pain soaring back, although she couldn't be sure it was entirely due to the injury. "You should go."

"Senna-"

She squeezed his hand, and he fell silent. "I know he needs you. And you need to do this for him, Rex. I understand that."

Tears were falling from Rex's eyes now, and he let loose a quiet sob. "But our future...our plans..."

Senna tugged him closer, and he scooted so that his forehead was resting against hers, his hand carefully stroking her cheek. "Our future is still intact," she whispered. "It's changed again, but we will still have it." Her breath shuddered as she tried to stand firm. "But you and Gregor are the only hope Wolffe has at a future, one where he's not haunted by what happened. I know what he means to you, and I am grateful to him for making sure you survived the war so that we could find each other. This is the least I can do for him."

Rex sobbed again, and Senna let herself grieve with him, holding onto him tightly as their future slipped through their fingers once more. It's what's required. Wolffe needs this. There will be plenty of time later. Or at least some. It'll have to be enough. We can make this work.